Pastry cream is also known as Custard cream or creme patisserie, in French. I use this cream in fillings for birthday cakes, for creamy desserts or for making ice creams. Usually the cream is made with a lot of egg yolks and if you have no problem with that you can use the amount of eggs mentioned in the recipe.Personally I only use two – three egg yolks.
If you want to make a dark cream, you can add either chocolate which you will add in the cream as soon as it sets and keep mixing until it melts or add 2 – 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder, together with the flour and corn flour.
Basic Pastry Cream
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: about10 minutes
Yields: 1 1/2 litres cream
- 6 cups of fresh milk (about 1 1/2 litres)
- 6 heaped tablespoons of flour and corn flour (you can adjust the dose according to your taste using following combinations or vice versa :
– 3 tablespoons flour -3 tablespoons corn flour (cornstarch) or
– 4 tablespoons of flour -2 tablespoons of corn flour , or the opposite
– 5 tablespoons of flour – 1 tablespoon of corn flour or the opposite or
- 6 tablespoons of corn flour (cornstarch)
- 8 heaped tablespoons of sugar
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 6 egg yolks (I use 2 – 3)
- 1 tsp unsalted butter (optional)
Note: 1 heaped tbsp flour = 25 grams and 1 heaped tbsp corn flour = 20 grams. I heaped tbsp sugar = 25 grams This weight is according to my measurements.
Heat milk reserving about half a cup cold milk to add to mixture.
Separate egg yolks.
In another pot add the flour and corn flour (starch) mixture, the egg yolks, sugar, vanilla and the cold milk and stir well with a balloon whisk.
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,