In Cyprus flaounes are made during Easter and the traditional recipe is much more complex but tastier, because in the dough we put a lot of other ingredients. The cheese used is made especially for this occasion but during other periods we make them with halloumi cheese. During next year’s Easter I will give you the traditional recipe but for now this recipe makes an excellent snack.
In many parts of Cyprus they prefer to make them sweet by adding sugar and raisins, which is an excellent combination of salty and sweet.
Mini Flaounes (Cypriot cheese pies)
- 1 dose of dough See step by step instructions how to.. make make dough).
For the filling
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 500 grs., of halloumi cheese or combination of graviera, or kefalograviera or ladotyri cheese
- 3 – 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of dried mint
Preparation of filling:
Mix the grated cheese, the mint and add eggs, one by one until eggs have been absorbed by cheese. Depend on egg size you might need another one.
Preparation of flaounes
Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Roll out phyllo with rolling pin or by machine until No. 4.
- Place a tea plate and cut around.
- In a separate plate, place sesame seeds and press dough on sesame. Place the upper part because usually the other side has flour on it, so the sesame seeds will not stick on the dough.
- Fill with one tablespoonful of the cheese mixture and fold three sides creating a triangle or four if you like to make a square shape.
- Press edges with fork to seal.
- Beat an egg and brush on flaounes.
- Place on oiled baking tin and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C, until a nice golden colour is achieved.
Serve hot or cold.