Τhis is a recipe everybody loves, especially the children. However, cheeses and bacon and cream are not so healthy, as they contain too much fat, so I have tried to make a “healthier” version of a recipe I used to make lots of years ago, substituting the cheeses I used, such as regato, gouda, kerrygold, edam, with other low fat cheeses I find in Greece, such as milner, cheddar, gouda, kolios and xynomyzithra. You may use part-skim mozzarella, low fat cheddar or farmers cheese, which is lower in fat etc. If you like you can leave the bacon out and use more smoked turkey.
Fussili pasta with 4 different cheeses
Preparation time: 15′
Baking time: 30′
- 1 packet of fussili pasta, cooked al dente
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 10 slices of bacon
- 5 slices of smoked turkey, cut into pieces
- 1 cup of low fat melting cheeses (milner, cheddar, gouda, kolios or xynomyzithra)
- 1 fresh cream( light)
- 2 eggs
- Bread crumbs
- Boil pasta in salty water according to package instructions. Drain and transfer to a large baking dish.
- In a non stick frying pan sauté the bacon until crispy and discard any fat. Remove on kitchen paper and then cut into pieces.
- Heat the olive oil and sauté the onion until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Pour over pasta and mix in the cheeses, leaving some to sprinkle on top as well as bacon and turkey. Season with salt and pepper.
- Beat the eggs with the fresh cream and pour on pasta. Sprinkle with cheese and bread crumbs.
- Pre-heat oven at 180o C and bake until the cheese melt and bread crumbs are lightly toasted.
Fussili can be substituted with fussili tricolore or with penne, fettuccini,or rigatoni etc.