You do not have to think hard what to do when you have a lot of walnuts. What better than a traditional Walnut Cake, which will bring back memories of good old times….
- 2 cups of semolina
- 1 cup of flour
- 3 tablespoons of baking powder
- 1 cup of crushed walnuts
- 1 cup of ground walnuts
- 1 tbsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of ground cloves
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of brandy
- 1 tablespoons of grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup of milk (or orange juice)
Ingredients for syrup:
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Lemon peel
- In a bowl place the semolina, flour, the crushed walnuts, the cinnamon and the ground cloves and mix.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and place in the refrigerator.
- Beat the butter and sugar until the mixture turns white and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks and gradually the brandy and mix for a few more minutes.
- Gradually add the flour mixture, the baking powder, the orange zest and milk (or orange juice). Fold in the egg whites with a metal spoon and pour the mixture into a buttered and floured 26cm baking tin. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts on top.
- Bake the cake in a preheated oven at 180o for about one hour or until a knife or a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out dry.
- Prepare the syrup. In a saucepan place sugar, water and lemon peel and boil for 5 minutes, add lemon juice.
- Remove the cake from the oven and once it is almost cool, pour the hot syrup over it.