This is an easy pie to make and when made with puff pastry it is even easier. During the years I was working I would make it with puff pastry but later on I found it much tastier with my own pastry until I started making it with provencal pastry with is much easier to make and much healthier as it uses olive oil. Whichever you try, all three phyllos as delicious.
Kotopita – Chicken Pie
- 1 dose of phyllo for meat pie, or provencal pastry or 1 packet of ready made Puff Pastry
For the filling
- 2 chicken breasts, boiled, skinned and cut into small pieces
1 cup of fresh or frozen corn, boiled for 15 minutes or tinned corn
- 1 cup of bell peppers, yellow, red, green finely chopped
- 1 cup of variety of grated cheese (regato, kerrygold, gouda, edam, cheddar etc.,) or any combination (I use low fat cheeses)
1 teaspoon chicken seasoning (I use carino)
- finely chopped parsley (about 3 tablespoons)
For the bechamel sauce
- 2 cups warm skim milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or olive oil based margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- a pinch of ground nutmeg
Boil chicken (see recipe how to boil chicken) and after cooling cut into small pieces.
- Make a Bechamel sauce using the above ingredients (see full recipe for more instructions). Combine the chicken with the grated cheese, the parsley, the corn and bell peppers.
- Add salt, pepper, paprika and chicken seasoning.
Grease a 40 Χ 30 Χ 5 tin and place 1 sheet of the phyllo or puff pastry.
- Spread the filling evenly and place the second sheet on top and press the edges of the two pastry sheets together firmly.
- Score with sharp knife but not deep and then prick with a fork the top sheet of the pastry too.
- Brush with olive oil and bake the pie in a preheated oven (180o C) for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. Leave aside for 10-15 minutes to cool and serve.
Tags: Bell Peppers, Cheese, Chicken, pies, Poultry