Moschari noua is a pot roast beef using the round part of beef. It can be cooked in a pressure cooker or slowly cooked in the oven in a casserole. I always serve it with mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables and top it with a very flavourful gravy made with the juices of the meet.
In my pressure cooker there is a steam basket for steaming vegetables and I steam mine in there. If you don’t have one, steam them or boil them the usual way.
If the meat will be cooked in the oven, you have to brown the meat in the skillet first and then transfer it in an oven proof casserole with lid and boil or steam the vegetables separately.
Moschari Noua (Pot Roast Beef)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes in the pressure cooker
or 2 hours in the oven at 200 degrees C
1 kilo veal, top round roast (in Greece it is called noua or stroggylo (which means round)
1- 2 cloves of garlic
1 cinnamon stick
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 2 cups water
1 cup red dry wine
- ½ kilo mixed vegetables
For the gravy:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon flour
- all the broth
- 1/4 cup milk
- Slit the meat in two places and put the cinnamon stick and the garlic and season with salt and pepper,.
- Heat the olive oil in the pressure cooker and sauté meat on all sides. Add wine, wait for some seconds for alcohol to evaporate and then add water.
- Add the vegetables on top and when the bulb turns, reduce heat and cook for 45 minutes.
- When cooked, remove the cinnamon stick and the garlic and let it cool down before cutting into thin slices.
- In a small pot heat the olive oil and saute the mushrooms. Add the flour and brown to make a roux. Add the milk mixing with a wooden spoon or whisk and then add milk and mix until the gravy thickens. Taste and season accordingly.
Serve with mashed potatoes, vegetables and gravy.
You can find my Greek recipes in my cookbooks «More Than A Greek Salad», and«Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!» both available on all Amazon stores. Read more here.
Other related Recipes:
Beef or Veal in Black beer with a Sweet and Sour Pumpkin Sauce
Moschari (Veal) Kokkinisto
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,