Homemade burgers are ideal for those who are on a diet provided the meat is lean and served with a salad. All it needs is to squeeze some fresh lemon juice when they are still hot and serve with a low-fat yoghurt sauce.
There is a huge difference between homemade beef burgers, using good quality meat and no preservatives and store-bought burgers . You know what ingredients are in there.
My children prefer them the American way, in a bun with ketchup, some vegetables such as lettuce, tomato, onion slices mixed with parsley and pickled cucumbers and sometimes I also make some caramelized onions.
The burgers I made are around 200 grams each, uncooked . I am not on a diet but like to eat healthy. If you are on a diet you can make your burgers around 150 grams each.
Moscharisia Mpiftekia (Beef Burgers) – Recipe by Ivy
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 – 20 minutes
Serves : 5
- 1 kilo ground veal
- 2 medium onions
- 6 slices toast bread with the crust, ground
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Freshly grated black pepper
- A pinch of oregano
- A pinch of thyme
- Crumble the bread in a food processor. Add it to the minced meat.
- Puree the onion with a little olive oil in a food processor.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Shape the burgers. (If you want to store them in the freezer wrap them with cling film).
- Heat a barbecue to hot. Cook for five minutes on each side.
- If not barbecuing, lay an aluminum foil on the grill of your oven and bake near the grill for about 15 minutes. Turn them over and simultaneously remove the foil.
- Bake on the other side for 5 more minutes.
You can find this and many more Greek recipes in my cookbook «More Than A Greek Salad», and «Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!» both available on all Amazon stores.
Other relevant recipes:
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,