Melomakarona are honey cookies, made with extra mild olive oil, flour or semolina and are bathed in honey syrup, with walnuts and cinnamon, which traditionally, are made during the holiday season of Christmas and New Year. However, we love them so much that we make them year round.
Melomakarona – Honey cookies
Makes: about 45 – 50
- 6 – 8 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup mild extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon and ground cloves
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 50 ml brandy
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups honey
- 3 cups water
- Orange peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 – 4 cloves
For sprinkling on top
- 2 cups of crushed walnuts
- ½ tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Beat the olive oil with sugar very well, on full speed, about 10 minutes. Dissolve the baking soda in the orange juice together with the brandy and add to the mixture.
- Mix cinnamon and cloves with the sifted flour and add to fluid mixture a little at a time. If you have a grinder, grind the cloves and cinnamon yourselves and you will get extra aroma. Add the orange zest and knead until a soft, fluffy dough is made. The mixture must have an oily consistency but should not stick on the hands.
- Take a small pieces of the mixture, about the size of a big walnut, and give it an oval shape about 1 cm thick. To make a pattern on top, press them on a box grater.
- Place on a baking tin lined with parchment paper and bake in a preheated oven to 180ο C /350 ο F, for about thirty minutes or until the bottom side is golden brown.
- In the meantime prepare the syrup by placing in a pot the sugar, water, honey, cinnamon, cloves and orange peel. Bring to boiling point, skimming if needed. Reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes. As soon as the cookies are out of the oven, dip them in the syrup for a few minutes and then with a slotted ladle remove into a platter.
- Add more raw honey on top and sprinkle some of the walnuts, mixed with cinnamon and sesame seeds.
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,