Traditionally, these honey-bathed cookies, with walnuts and cinnamon, are made during the holiday season of Christmas and New Year. However, we love them so much that we make them year round.
Melomakarona – Honey cookies
Makes: about 45 – 50
- 6 – 8 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup mild extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoonful cinnamon and ground cloves
- ½ teaspoonful baking soda
- 1/3 cup brandy
- Orange zest
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of honey
- 3 cups of water
- Orange peel
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 – 4 cloves
For sprinkling on top
- 2cups of pounded walnuts
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 spoonful sesame seeds (optional)
- Beat the olive oil with sugar very well, on full speed, about 10 minutes. Dissolve the soda in the orange juice together with the brandy and add to the mixture.
- Mix cinnamon and cloves with the sifted flour and add to fluid mixture a little at a time. If you have a grinder, grind the cloves and cinnamon yourselves and you will get extra aroma. Add the orange zest and knead until a soft, fluffy dough is made. The mixture must have an oily consistency but should not stick on the hands.
- Takea small pieces of the mixture, about the size of a big walnut, and give it an oval shape about 1 cm thick. To make a pattern on top we usually press them on a box grater to get the pattern.
- Place on a baking tin lined with parchment paper and bake in a preheated oven to 180ο C /350 ο F, for about thirty minutes or until the bottom side is golden brown.
- In the meantime prepare the syrup by placing in a pan the sugar, water, honey, cinnammon, cloves and orange peel. Bring to boiling point skimming if needed. Reduce heat and simmer for five minutes. As soon as cookies are out of the oven, dip them in the syrup for a few minutes and then with a slotted ladle remove into a platter.
- Finally pound the walnuts and add cinnamon and sesame seeds and sprinkle on top of the cookies.