I am in a phase that I want to keep trying new recipes. There are some recipes I have tried that I have not posted because I did not like the result. Last night I was browsing around and came up with a recipe that could be baked in the microwave for three minutes. It intrigued my curiosity. First of all I did not know that we could bake cakes in the microwave. The ingredients were very simple and had everything at home: flour, baking powder, black sugar, milk, a pinch of salt, cold butter and raisins. Eventually this turned out into a dough and I followed the instructions and baked it for three minutes. It had to remain for another three minutes in the microwave and it would be ready. I let it cool for a while and all enthusiastic I called my children to try this achievement of mine to bake a cake in three minutes. The result was disappointing. No one liked it, neither did I. My husband was fortunate and did not taste them at all. This morning I threw everything away in the dustbin.
Now I am writing all this because I’ve tried lasagna before and again I did not like them. This time I wanted to try it the way my family would enjoy it and indeed they all loved it, although I was a bit reluctant as to whether I should put 1 clove of garlic or 2. I finally put 2 cloves and I did not have any reactions.
Lasagna with ground meat and béchamel sauce
Preparation: 1/2 hour
Baking: 1 hour
- 1 box of wide lasagna noodles
- 500 grams lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ bunch of parsley, finely chopped
- 1 can whole tomatoes blended
- ½ cup of grated cheese, (I use a variety of 4 cheeses, gouda, edam, kerrygold and kaseri)
- ½ teaspoonful thyme
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoonful basil
- 1/4 cup red dry wine
3 spoonfuls of Margarine or olive oil
3 spoonfuls of flour
5 cups of warm milk
½ teaspoonful salt
½ teaspoonful ground nutmeg
2 eggs (you can use upto 4 if you like)
½ cup of halloumi cheese (or any other hard cheese of your preference)
Directions for Bechamel
In a sauce pan heat butter or oil, add flour, salt and nutmeg and stir until slightly browned.
Add warm milk stirring continuously until a thick cream is made and remove from heat.
Beat eggs separately and add a spoonful at a time stirring until absorbed.
Sprinkle cheese on top. See step by step instructions here.
Directions for Lasagna
- Peel onion and garlic and finely chop them. In a sauce pan sauté the ground meat and add onion and garlic and sauté as well.
- Add parsley, salt, pepper, thyme, basil and wine. Stir for 2 – 3 minutes, pure tomato and add to mixture as well as water.
- Simmer for ½ an hour but be sure that there is enough sauce at the end.
- If the lasagna you are using need to be boiled, follow the instructions on box and when boiling place them in cold water so that they will not stick to each other.
- Begin with a layer of lasagna, add ground meat together with sauce and do the same three times. Finish with a layer of lasagna. Add the béchamel cream and sprinkle cheese on top. Preheat oven to 180 degrees centigrade and bake for about 1 hour or until a nice colour has been achieved.