My friend Elly, is hosting the event Eat to the Beat.   Actually, I was planning to prepare something else for her event but I did not have time to prepare it as I will be away for a few days.

I was planning “Torta Fragola” an Italian recipe for Strawberry cake which I hope to make and publish soon. This song is for all of you.

“Strawberries, cherries and an angel’s kiss in spring
My summer wine is really made from all these things
Take off your silver spurs and help me pass the time
And I will give to you…summer wine
Oh…summer wine ..”

As I did not have enough time to make this cake, my second choice was to make this fantastic easy chicken recipe called “Chicken Espinoza”, with oranges and honey.  The sweet and sour sauce is the star of this delicious dish.  I found this recipe years ago in a magazine but I don’t know anything else about it’s origin as after googling it I found no results.  The only thing relevant was a cookbook by an author named Espinoza.

I will give you some beat with a children’s’ song Thomas the Train and have some fun and laughter listening to it, although I am sorry the quality of the video is very bad.

This is my entry for the event Eat to the Beat, hosted by Elly’s of Elly Says Opa.

Chicken Espinoza

Rice Pilaf:

• 2 cups of parboiled long grained rice
  • 4 cups of water
  • 1 sachet of Kozani saffron
  • 1 tablespoon margarine
  • salt

1. Reserve a few slices of oranges and lemons for decoration and from the remaining take the juice.
  2. Wash chicken breasts and removes skin and bones which boil in four cups of water and after removing froth, add some salt.  Boil for half an hour discard bones and skin and boil rice for 20 minutes or according to package instructions.  Add saffron half way through.  Drain if there is any water and add butter and place in mold.
  3. While chicken bones are boiling for the broth, cut chicken breasts in thin slices, add salt and pepper and dredge in flour.
  4. Heat oil in a skillet and shallow fry chicken on both sides.  Do not over-load skillet.
  5. Remove in platter until all chicken is shallow fried.
  6. Empty hot oil in metallic bowl or in another pan leaving only 2 – 3 spoonfuls of oil.
  7. Place the chicken back in the skillet again, pour the liqueur over it and light it.  (Do not panic, the flame will not last for long as alcohol evaporates.  If you are scared, leave it until you feel more confident and again the alcohol will evaporate).
  8. Add the orange and lemon juices, the honey and the walnuts and stir for 2 – 3 minutes.
  9. Add the cubed oranges, stir and serve immediately.
  10. Place rice in the middle of a round platter, add chicken round the rice and decorate with the orange and lemon slices.

chicken espinosa2

You can find my Greek recipes in my cookbooks «More Than A Greek Salad», and«Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!» both available on all Amazon stores. Read more here.

Other related Recipes:

Kotopoulo Portokalato (Roasted Chicken with Oranges)

Tags: , ,

24 Comments on Chicken Espinoza

Yum Ivy – this looks great! I can’t wait to see the Torta Fragola – I am such a sweet tooth.

2. Pixie says:

I really love this event. It’s so wonderful to combine great food with feel good music. Your chicken dish sounds lovely, Ivy.

3. Ivy says:

Ηι cakelaw, I hope next week I’ll make it.

Pixie, I love these events as well and this one was fun.

4. Elly says:

Ivy, your chicken looks delicious! Liqueur, honey AND walnuts? I’m sold :) Thanks so much for participating!

5. Passionate baker...& beyond says:

Ivy, this recipe is delicious to the core. Great great flavours…I love the addition of fruit. Just wanted to tell you that I kinda did the meme by combining it with a wierd meme. U have been tagged for a wierd meme dear Ivy. Whenever you get back from wherever you are off to; & only if you’re up to it! Now, I shall sit back & enjoy one of my fave songs…Summer Wine…brings back a flood of childhood memories!! Thanks & LOL

6. Rosie says:

Oooh Ivy this sounds very yummy indeed. I know only too well about licking plates when the food is so good heehee…

Rosie x

7. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen says:

That looks awesome, Ivy! Good job on your event!

Hola Ivy! Your Chicken Espinosa looks AMAZING!!! So good! With that big flower casttle rice in the center. I could start eating it right now!!!

I’m participating at Elly’s event too, hopefully will post about it tomorrow evening 😀

9. Ivy says:

Just a quick thank you to all of you. Shall talk again in a few days.xoxoxoxo

10. Heather says:

That looks so good! I love sweetness with my meat. I bet the Bärenjäger would be great with it. And that pilaf looks beautiful too.

Happy holiday to you!

11. Cooking and the City says:

Ivy your chicken dish looks delicious, but with those lovely flavours its to be expected! :-)

12. Cynthia says:

Ivy, I like the new look of your header!

I love how you have presented the rice with the mould and the star in the middle :)

13. Emiline says:

Good job! This sounds delicious, and is perfect for the event.
    I ran out of time, unfortunately.

Hi Ivy, You mentioned that you have never tried rhubarb. I have got you some rhubarb sauce to try -if you can tell me where to send it, it will wing its way to you.

15. Ivy says:

I’m back after a few days’ rest but now I need to rest from “resting” (lol).
    Heather, I am so glad you have visited. Your honey liqueur (Bärenjäger) must be great with this recipe as well. Be careful if you set it on fire.
    Cooking and the city, I told you again that I love the title of your blog. Yes, it was great.
    Hi Cynthia, I am glad you liked the new header. I am still experimenting. You might see it change again.
    Hi Emiline, I think you still have time for the event.
    Cakelaw, this is so sweet of you. Thank you. We can exchange addresses by e-mail. Mine is recipesandadviceATgmailDOTcom

16. Peter M says:

Ivy, the dish is beautifully presented, good show!

17. Pixie says:

Ivy, just stopping by to let you know the green bit is known as wasabi! I had a good laugh reading your comment. My husband did the same thing first time he tried it. :)

18. Ivy says:

Thanks for letting me know Pixie. We are also having a nice laugh when we think about it.

19. Poet1 says:

Very delicious !!! Good morning !

20. Ivy says:

Good morning Poet1. Thanks for commenting. Will be glad to see you again.

Ai, ai, Ivy. I laughed so hard at your story with Wasabi at Pixie’s blog that I had to tell you 😀 Sorry, please don’t be angry with me… it’s only that I imagine the scene, Oh my God… how horrible!!!
    Poor thing!!!! That green stuff tastes so bad!!!!!! What an experience!!!

22. Ivy says:

Hi Nuria, darling, why should I be angry with you. I still laugh at what happened to me. Do you know SABENA? Not the Belgium airline but when I used to work for an airline we made our own explanations to what the initials meant.

23. Pixie says:

hey ivy, i’m missing your cooking- just checking up on you, hope you are well and just busy!

24. Ivy says:

Pixie, this is so sweet of you. These days I’m like crazy. Hopefully I might post something tonight, or else it will be on Friday. Thanks for checking up on me.