For those who are fasting for Greek lent a variety of different food is necessary.

Do you know what they used to have for breakfast some generations back? Bread and olives and that kept them strong and healthy to work all day in the fields.

However, how tasteful the olives may be we never eat bread and olives for breakfast but if you try making it with a phyllo which is very aromatic and then making them into small eliopitakia, or elioti (olive bread) or olive roulade, this is something you will want everyday for breakfast.

Eliotes or eliopitakia (Olive pies) however, is something not only that you will be glad to have for lent but any time of the year.

The recipe is included in my cookbook Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste as well as in Volume 1 of my e-cookbook, sold on all Amazon stores.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

21 Comments on Eliopita, Eliotes or Eliopitakia (Cypriot olive pies)

1. Bellini Valli says:

I would love to have this for breakfast or any old time “sis”. The orange juice in the dough is extra special:D

2. Mansi Desai says:

ooh!! these look inviting Ivy! wonderful, thanks for sending these for WBB:)

Interesting touch with the oj Ivy. I love olives and these look really crispy. Considering how many “elies” you have available in Greece. Where do you begin?

Yum – I’d like these for breakfast tomorrow please!

Wow Ivy, I’m sure I would love this one!!!! So flavourful the mixture of the filling. Mmmmmm! 😀

6. Pixie says:

Yummy Ivy, I so enjoy visiting your blog and discovering new and delicious dishes!

oh and marmite, is nothing like wasabi lol it’s difficult to describe- if you like salty food you’ll possibly like marmite

7. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen says:

Actually this kind of breakfast is right up my alley! Sounds wonderful!

8. Elly says:

ooh I have never had these before Ivy but they look SO good. I just know I would love them.

9. Ivy says:

Just a quick note to say thank you everybody for visiting and commenting. I just have so little time lately and cannot spend a lot of time on the computer.

10. Laurie Constantino says:

These look delicious Ivy; I’ll bet the sesame seeds really add a lot of flavor. And very cute too!

11. Emiline says:

You had my heart when you said, “olive”.
    These pies are so cute looking.
    I’m scared of making my own phyllo. So greeeeat job!

12. Rosie says:

Oh my these would be lovely for breakfast Ivy. Sounds wonderful 😀

Rosie x

13. Susan from Food Blogga says:

I wouldn’t have any problem switching my oatmeal for this breakfast, Ivy. I love these!

14. Cynthia says:

I love being introduced to all these dishes.

15. Passionate baker...& beyond says:

Have a good Easter Ivy. I love the traditional meals you post. Throws light on a new cuisine. These are wonderful! Ciao for now!

16. […] Eliopitakia (small olive pies) : 1, 2, 3 (or 1, 3, 6 on mixer) […]

17. […] I have already made into Eliopsomo, which is a Greek Olive bread, and Olive Bread Sticks, Cypriot Eliopitakia (small olive pies) and Cypriot Elioti, an olive roulade.  The only thing new to the ingredients […]

18. […] Eliopitakia (olive pies) […]

19. Hey Ivy

I have been searching for these for a long time as the last time I had proper ones I was in my Yiayia’s vilage in Prothromos.

Whenever my famliy bakes bread, we always use OJ, but also cinnamon water, it just gives it a nice subtle spice and colour to the dough.

Can’t wait to try them this weekend : )

20. […] Eliopitakia (small olive pies) : 1, 2, 3 (or 1, 3, 6 on mixer) […]