A few days ago I wrote about the other parcel I received from sweet Nuria and as I promised I am writing about the parcel I received from Pixie before Easter.

When Pixie asked me what I wanted I told her that I wanted maple syrup because it was something I saw in recipes and I always wanted to try it. Well when the package arrived, apart from the maple syrup, Pixie surprised me by sending quinoa (pr.  “KEEN-wah”) and although I had seen it on other blogs, I never knew much about this grain.  Pixie also sent us some tea, which we enjoyed, Jaffa cakes, breadsticks, toffees and a chocolate.The children love this sort of things and they were saying “That’s for me” or “Oh, I want that” but they behaved and they ate the stuff on Easter Day as we were fasting.  I tried everything and they were all delicious.Thank you Pixie very much. We enjoyed everything. (I shall be writing more as I have not tried the maple syrup yet).

quinoa package

Reading a lot of articles about quinoa, I have learnt that is is considered a superfood because of its health properties.  To sum up  quinoa is one of the most protein-rich foods we can eat. It is a complete protein containing all nine essential amino acids.  It contains almost twice as much fiber as most other grains, it contains Iron, lysine, it is rich in magnesium, high in Riboflavin (B2) and has a high content of manganese.

Quinoa  has a bitter-tasting coating called saponin.  Although it has already been processed, it is advisable to soak it first and then rinse it well, in order to make sure that it will not give a bitter taste.  In order to cook it you need the double amount of water i.e. 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups water.

With the quinoa I made a few recipes.  Today I shall start with some croquettes based on a Greek recipe called Kolokythokeftedes.  I served them with marinated anchovies, which were a perfect match and made a delicious mezes.

I am submitting this recipe to Gay of A Scientist in the Kitchen, who is hosting this week’s Weekend Herb Blogging, created by Kalyn of Kalyn’s Kitchen.

Courgette croquettes with quinoa and Marinated Anchovies, recipe by Ivy

Prep Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes

Serves: 4-5

Ingredients:

• 5 green courgettes, grated
  • 1 onion, grated
  • 5 spring onions finely chopped
  • ½ cup of parsley, finely chopped
  • ½ cup of fennel, finely chopped
  • 2 spoonfuls of fresh mint, finely chopped
  • 1 egg
  • Salt and pepper
  • Flour
  • 1 teaspoonful of baking powder
  • 1 spoonful of olive oil
  • 1/2 cup of crumbled goat cheese
  • Extra virgin olive oil for frying

For Quinoa:

• ½ cup of quinoa
  • 1 cup of water
  • ¼ teaspoon of salt

Directions:

1. Place quinoa in a large bowl and cover with water. Let stand 5 minutes and rinse well.
  2. In salted pot of boiling water, cook quinoa for 20 minutes, remove from the heat and leave it in the pan until it cools.  (As the quantity needed is small I doubled the dose and with the remaining half I prepared a dessert).
  3. Wash the vegetables and let them drain from the water.
  4. Grate the courgettes and place into a colander with salt for half an hour.
  5. Squeeze to remove any remaining fluid.
  6. Break the egg into the bowl and add the cheese, chopped herbs and salt and pepper.
  7. Do not add too much salt, as the cheese has salt and don’t forget that we added salt to the grated courgettes.
  8. Add the quinoa and continue to massage the mixture between fingers after adding flour until you have a smooth, but not runny, consistency.
  9. After this, the mixture is helped by being allowed to stand in the fridge for, at least, an hour, before frying in olive oil.
  10. Make the croquettes and run them in some flour. Fry in hot olive oil. The level of olive oil in the frying pan should cover half the croquette.
  11. Turn the croquettes once, browning both sides.
  12. Place them on a platter and decorate with the anchovy fillets.

Other relevant recipes:

Kolokythokeftedes (Greek Zucchini Patties)

Eggplant rolls, with feta

Quinoa Salad

Tags: , , ,

28 Comments on Courgette Croquettes with Quinoa and Anchovies

Thats a nice take on “kolokythokeftedes” Ivy! (geez thats a mouthful!). I’m curious how it turned out with the quinoa….What did you think of the marmite breadsticks?

2. Ivy says:

I would say that the taste of quinoa did not thrill me but I do appreciate its nutritional value and I would say that if I had it I would cook it again. In the croquets it did not add anything to the taste but that gave me an idea next time to use bulgur wheat which will definitely enhance the flavour. The bread sticks were yummy and I could get addicted to them.

What a great parcel Ivy! Pixie is very kind. I love Jaffa Cakes – they are so addictive.

Love the look of your crquettes – a very nice side dish for the dinner table.

4. Ivy says:

Pixie and Nuria were (so were you before) very kind indeed. I did not mention the Jaffa cakes although they are my favourites as well, as similar ones are made in Greece and we eat them all the time.

5. Passionate baker...& beyond says:

What wonderful folk you meet in this wonderful world Ivy!! Tells us what a lovely person you are too my dear. I like the sound of these croquettes…nice. Will try them soon as I love veggie options for the kids. xoxo

6. Λυκαων ο Αναμοχλευτής says:

Μιαμ… μιαμ…

Χωρίς να είμαι αυτό που θα χαρακτηρίζαμε ως φανατικό της γαστριμαργικής τέχνης, το ιστολόγιό σας, αγαπητή φίλη, γεννά μεγάλους πειρασμούς.

Θα το πω στη γυναίκα μου!

Δεν πρόκειται περί απειλής. Είμαι σίγουρος πως θα το βρει κι αυτή ενδιαφέρον, αφού της αρέσει να ερευνά και να βρίσκει νέες ιδέες και συνδυασμούς γεύσεων

Και παρ’ όλο που τα αγγλικά σας είναι άψογα, θα ήθελα να ρωτήσω γιατί δεν τα γράφετε στα ελληνικά; Η ερώτησή μου δεν εμπεριέχει καμμία σωβινιστική προσκόλληση, είναι απλώς πρακτικής φύσεως.

Σκέφτομαι πως πολλές συμπατριώτισσές μας που δεν γνωρίζουν αγγλικά θα μπορούσαν ίσως να βοηθηθούν να ξεφύγουν από τα τετριμμένα μιας κουζίνας, που το κύριο χαρακτηριστικό της είναι η επανάληψη με αποτέλεσμα την γευστική ανία.

7. Ivy says:

Yes there are wonderful and warm people like you. I am sure the kids will love the croquettes.

8. Ivy says:

Φίλε Λυκαών γειά σας και καλωσορίσατε. Χαίρομαι ιδιαίτερα που μου γράφετε ότι σας άρεσαν οι συνταγές μου. Ελπίζω να μην έχουν μπερδευτεί και άλλοι συμπατριώτες μας αλλά έχω δύο ξεχωριστά μπλογκ. Εάν πάτε αριστερά κάτω από τη φωτογραφία με το τοπίο θα βρείτε σύνδεσμο που σας οδηγεί στο Ελληνικό. Βέβαια αυτή τη συνταγή δεν πρόλαβα να τη βάλω ακόμη αλλά ελπίζω εντός της ημέρες να γίνει.
    Όσο για το τελευταίο που γράφετε έχετε δίκαιο. Καλές οι παραδοσιακές μας συνταγές και δεν τις αλλάζω με τίποτα αλλά λίγη ποικιλία και φαντασία δεν βλάπτει. Θα χαρώ να σας ξαναδώ καθώς και τη γυναίκα σας. Θα σας επισκευτώ και εγώ. Ήβη

9. Bellini Valli says:

Your zucchini patties sound amazing sis!!!!! I hope it is not too long before we start to see zucchini at the markets. Maybe I will have to bookmark this until it is their season…maybe I can wait and maybe I can’t:D

10. Pilar - Lechuza says:

Ivy, I just arrived on your blog and I must say its fantastic !! All your recipes are delicious.
    I have never tried quinoa, but if I find it in the marketplace, I’ll make your croquetas.
    Kisses from Spain

11. Ivy says:

Your comment makes me think that most of our vegetables we have them all year round in Greece and we do not appreciate them. Of course they grow in green houses, but sometimes they are cheaper than when it’s their season.

12. Ivy says:

Hola Pilar and welcome “to Greece”. Thanks for being so kind and I am hopping over to meet you “in Espagna”.

13. Lulu says:

New tastes and ingredients are so much fun to play around with! I’ll be really interested to read what you think of the maple syrup.

14. Ivy says:

Hi Lulu, hopefully I shall see what I can come up to soon.

15. Lisa says:

I’ll pass on the anchovies, but I’d eat these croquettes any day! I just love recipes like this, and quinoa happens to be one of my favorite grains.

16. Lulu says:

I finally noticed your subscription button Ivy, you’re now on my Yahoo page. It still cracks me up to see friends right next to Associated Press and Reuters.

17. Mike of Mike's Table says:

Those look very tasty! I’m having a hard time imagining what it would taste like, but reading over the ingredients has my mouth watering.

Also, that looks like quite a package! I also received some goodies in the mail from Pixie the other day–she’s very kind and generous! :-)

18. Pixie says:

Hi Ivy,

I made myself some of that soup you recommended to go with the grain you sent. We absolutely loved it, though, I put too much of the ‘pasta’ ( I can’t remember what it’s called lol!) – didn’t take a photo as we just wanted to EAT! I feel the same way about quinoa- I recently bought another pack to try it again but am not running to it yet. Am glad you enjoyed it. xox

Pixie

19. Ivy says:

@ Lulu: You are right, it is hidden somewhere deep down. I shall have to put it somewhere visible.

@ Mike: It’s such a nice experience to receive goodies from your friends. I really enjoyed it a lot and it’s a great experience to taste things you didn’t even know they existed.

@ Pixie: Trahanas, is also my favourite soup. I am glad you enjoyed it.

20. Rosie says:

Oh wow Ivy your zucchini croquettes look amazing!! Awe always nice to hear of kind folk in the world and you truly are one of them!

Rosie x

21. vb says:

Looks really good! Anything with anchovies and I’m there! Found you through WHB.

Hola Ivy! I have no idea of what Quinoa is and wonder how it tastes… of all the things Pixie sent you, I think it’s all new to me! That’s the great thing about foodie blogs… So different and yet so near :D

Your croquetas sound great and it’s the kind of food kids always love… even grown up “kids” :D

23. Ginny says:

I love quinoa! This is a great idea to cook with it! delicious!

24. Kalyn says:

I’m also trying to learn to appreciate quinoa a bit more. It’s not bad, but not anything I would crave. I bought some quinoa flakes (a type of cereal) and I’m thinking of using it instead of bread crumbs in things like meatballs.

25. Ivy says:

@ Rosie: This is such a nice experience which many bloggers should try exchanging unusual things.

26. Ivy says:

@ vb: Thanks for visiting and I shall visit you back to see what yummy things you have prepared for the WHB.

@ Nuria: I really believe that through blogging you can learn so many things and even taste things you didn’t even know existed.

@ Ginny: I have a couple of recipes yet to publish but as it will take time until I post them, if you like (or anybody else) I can send them to you by e-mail.

@ Kalyn: That’s a great idea Kalyn as mostly it’s the nutritional value that counts and we must find ways to add it where we can.

27. Maria says:

Ivy wow what a lovely package, you truly deserve it ;o)

Maria