Vanilla and Coconut Panacotta

Some months ago I bought some coconut milk for desserts but I didn’t have any idea what to do with it. Somehow it got forgotten in the cupboard and a few weeks ago when I was cleaning the cupboards and emptied them I found it again.

I google searched writing “coconut, dessert” but did not see anything that would interest me, except for a coconut panacotta with pumpkin. That gave me the idea of a panacotta, so typing coconut, panacotta, I got lots of interesting recipes and decided to follow this one. I read a few more to see what ingredients are usually used and getting a rough idea, I decided to make a vanilla panacotta and serve it with strawberries which I had at home.

You must know by now that I hate sticking to recipes and since I had played a lot with gelatine recently, I decided to do it my way.

After filling the small moulds, I decided to make one with chocolate as well and quite accidentally it turned lovely as when setting all the chocolate when to the bottom of the mould and when demoulding, the chocolate came on top. I served this one with a chocolate sauce.

We wanted to try the dessert after lunch but it was very early when I demoulded them. The chocolate one, which was demoulded the following day, came out fine.

I’m submitting this recipe to Linda from Got Milk? I saw the event some days ago and I promised I would post a recipe as Linda wants to inform younger ladies of how important it is to breastfeed their children. Linda gives very detailed information why women should breast feed and here are some of her examples:

Did you know that breastfed children:
Have a higher IQ?
Have less ear infections?
Have less food allergies?
Have lower chances of leukemia?
And the list goes on….

And here are some more about the mothers:

Did you know that breastfeeding:
Helps you loose weight faster? (didn’t work for me unfortunately, luckily I didn’t gain too much during pregnancy)
Helps you be more relaxed? (worked for me)
Saves money?
Gives protection against different kinds of cancer? (breast, uterine, ovarian)

I personally breastfed all three of my children.

Vanilla and Coconut Panacotta

Preparation Time: 10 minutes

Cooking Time : 5 minutes

Makes about 12

• 5 gelatine sheets (softened in 3/4 cup of water)
  • 1 x 400ml can coconut milk
  • 250ml (1 cup) low fat whipping cream
  • ½ cup of sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Strawberry sauce

• 1 cup of strawberries
  • 3 spoonfuls of sugar
  • A few spoonfuls of water, just to wet sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Place the gelatine sheets in a bowl of cold water and set aside for 5 minutes to soften.

Combine the coconut milk, cream, sugar and vanilla in saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves and mixture is heated through. Remove from heat. Remove the gelatine from the water and add to the coconut-milk mixture. Gently stir until gelatine dissolves. Place in the refrigerator to set.

Meanwhile, to prepare the sauce, place the strawberries in a small non stick frying pan, add sugar, water and vanilla and stir. Until it begins to boil, press the strawberries with the spoon, so that they break and release their juices. Lower heat and stir for 5 minutes until the sugar caramelizes.

Chocolate panacotta

I had only six small moulds and 1 bigger one, so when I filled the smaller ones, I wanted to try something different so I heated in the microwave 100 grams of couverture chocolate for 1 minute, until soft. I stirred it in the remaining mixture and when setting the chocolate went to the bottom of the mould, leaving a chocolaty taste to the remaining.

If you liked this recipe, you might also like:

Orange Meringue Dream

Creamy Jelly Dessert

Mastic Gum Yoghurt Dessert

20 Comments on Vanilla and Coconut Panacotta

Coconut, panacotta are all good words Ivy! Glad to see you experimented with the recipe. I’ve made panacotta with ανθονερο for something a little different. It’s very subtle but very addictive!

2. Priti says:

Looks just! and the pictures are cool too..

3. Illatharasi says:

That’s a wonderful creativity, Ivy!
    Both looks yummy:)
    Thanks for sharing the links on breastfeeding:)

4. linda says:

I love the way the chocolate panna cotta came out, very pretty! Who would have thought?

Thanks for your entry to Got Milk?
    I’ll do a round-up after August 7th.

5. Bellini Valli says:

I would definitely be on the breastfeeding bandwagon sis. I think the bond that is created is something that is never broken as well. If I made this pannacotta for my daughter she would love me forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Corinne says:

Ivy, that looks decadent! I’m all for breast feeding when it’s my time to have children… there are some cool videos on YouTube that have really confirmed my beleifs.
    I got your Meme, now I have to fit it into an entry :) I think the next one coming up :)

7. Ivy says:

Peter, anthonero (blossom water) sounds great. It has got such a beautiful aroma. I am waiting from Cyprus an ingredient I can’t get in Greece which will make THE most wonderful panacotta. We used this ingredient in a cream.

8. Ivy says:

Thanks Priti.
    Thanks. Vani.

9. Ivy says:

Thanks for organizing the event Linda. Many desserts were created by mistake and this is one of them.

10. Ivy says:

Val, I am glad to see that young girls realize how important this is and we should definitely encourage our daughters to do so when the time comes.

11. Ivy says:

Corinne, I am glad you feel so. Thanks for going along with the meme. Shall check it out.

12. srikars kitchen says:

wow… looks yummy and delicious dear… fantastic entry…

13. glamah16 says:

Isnt this a great event. I try to keep a can of coconut milk on hand at all times. This panna cotta looks so lucious.

14. Ivy says:

Srikar, thanks for tagging me but I have played this meme a few months back, so maybe another time.

Coco, we really liked coconut milk but it was new to me so I have to learn more about it’s use.

15. Swati: Sugarcraft India says:

I have never had panacotta yet..Imagine!!
    This loks simple..Rather you make it look so simple Ivy!!

16. Ivy says:

Swati, it is very easy and you will like it with coconut milk.

I see that you are a pro breastfeeding woman! I’m too!

But, I’ve also seen women that didn’t have a good quality of milk and their babies were starving. That, I hate! First goes the baby! They insisted for more than 3 months… it was such a pitty!

18. Ivy says:

That would be really silly to go on breastfeeding if they had poor quality of milk. At least they could give a supplement of meal so that the child would not starve.

19. […] Vanilla and Coconut Panacotta […]