A few weeks back I was drooling over some cupcakes my friend Cakelaw, from Laws of the Kitchen made and the next day I decided to make some. I did not have exactly the ingredients so I used both plain flour and self raising flour and reduced the baking powder, I added orange essence as I was out of vanilla essence and added a little bit of extra sugar as I wanted to add 2 ripe bananas I had.

For the frosting the quantity of butter left was not enough, so I frosted half of them with white chocolate and to distinguish them, on top of the white chocolate I sprinkled some chocolate sprinkles and on the butter frosting some coconut. I decorated all of them with my cherry spoon sweet. I only have two muffin tins x 6 so the other quantity I lined two baking tins with parchment paper and baked them for an hour at 170 degrees.

They turned out great, the kids loved them especially those with the white chocolate. Although I avoid using butter often there are some things which I want to try at least once but these I will definitely make a lot of times.

I am submitting this recipe to Couture Cupcakes, who is hosting the event Best evah Cupcake Recipe, to support Cupcake Day for the RSPCA.

You may find printable recipe here.

• 1 ½ cups sifted plain flour
  • 1 ¼ cups of self rising flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
  • 200 gr. butter, softened and cubed
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon orange extract
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 1 cup milk

Preheat your oven to 170 degrees Celsius and line muffin tins with paper muffin cases.

Cream the butter in an electric mixer so it is soft and pale, then beat in the sugar in 3 lots, and beat the mixture until the butter and sugar are fully combined. Beat in each egg and then finally beat in the orange essence.

Remove the batter from the mixer, and fold in the flour and milk alternately, starting and ending with flour. (If you prefer, you can use the mixer to do this on low speed.)

Divide the cupcake batter equally between the 24 muffin holes (I had only 12) and smooth over the tops. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until cooked through. Cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.

Frosting 1:

• 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick – 2 oz. or 57 g) butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup of confectioners’ (icing) sugar, sifted
  • 1-tablespoon milk
  • ½ teaspoon of orange essence

Place the butter in a mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed until fluffy, 30 seconds. Stop the machine and add the confectioners’ sugar, 3 tablespoons of the milk, and the vanilla.

Blend with the mixer on low speed until the sugar is incorporated, 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, 1 minute more. Add up to 1 tablespoon more milk if the frosting seems too stiff.

Frosting 2

• 150 grams white chocolate, heated for 1 minute in the microwave with 1 teaspoon of butter. If chocolate has not melted, microwave for another minute and mix to incorporate.

• Spoon Sweet Cherries
  • Coconut for sprinkling on top
  • Chocolate sprinkles

Tags: , ,

21 Comments on Banana Cupcakes with coconut and cherries

1. Lore says:

I’d like mine with a cherry on top please 😀

2. Ivy says:

Right choice. One coming up (lol).

3. Minko says:

thanks for entering. these look great. i will have to try them

Mmmm…yummy cupcake Ivy…I’ll have an extra cherry thanks!

5. glamah16 says:

Very nice. And with those lucious cherries.

6. Ben says:

Your changes of the recipe seemed to have worked out pretty well. And I just noticed you won the first place at the GCC County Fair. Congratulations!

7. Ivy says:

Thanks Glamah.

Ben, it worked fine and thanks for the GCC but it was not big deal.

8. Laurie Constantino says:

Ivy, thanks so much for fixing your blog so it loads without problem. It’s dramatically better now!!

9. giz says:

You just never disappoint do you Ivy :). I’m sure that if I had to rework the recipe I just wouldn’t even know where to begin (i.e. don’t have enough of this flour so I’ll reduce the baking powder).Huh??? I wouldn’t even think of it or how it could impact the whole thing. So much to learn.

10. Ivy says:

Giz, thanks, I don’t know what to say. When I don’t have the ingredients I just make use of what I have at hand and go along with my instincts.

11. Bellini Valli says:

You were inspired by Cakelaws cupcakes and your have insoired me sis:D

12. Ivy says:

Sis, I am sure you make lovely cupcakes and I am looking forward to see what you will prepare.

13. Anamika:The Sugarcrafter says:

well done
    i am amazed at your zeal and this recipe for cupcakes banana with coconut and cheriies looks so good..even the pictures have come out very nicely..

14. Ivy says:

Thanks Anamika. I believe that we learn a lot every day and my photos have definitely improved just a little bit since I started blogging one year ago (lol).

15. Jeena says:

Any kind of coconut cake and I am there! These look so lovely Ivy. :-)

16. Illatharasi says:

Ivy, I am drooling over your cupcakes now 😉

Looks fantastic !

Wow Ivy, these look delicious! Cherries on top are such a sweet idea. And thanks for the mention 😉 – much appreciated.

18. Ivy says:

Jeena, thanks. I simply LOVE coconut and although I should avoid eating it I can’t resist.

Vani, I can believe you because that’s how I felt when I saw them at Cakelaw’s blog.

Cake, I always drool over your recipes. You inspired me hon. and of course, you should get credit for this. Thanks for posting it.

19. Haley says:

We would like to feature this recipe on our blog. Please email if interested. Thanks :)

20. Ivy says:

Haley, thanks for choosing one of my recipes. Please go ahead and publish it. Hope you will put a link back to my site.

21. […] that I didn’t have most of them but I did have 3 ripe bananas at home, so I remembered the banana cupcakes I made some months back, I changed some ingredients and made them into muffins, to make something […]