What can I say about this dish except that if you like the ingredients you will be thrilled by the taste and it is a dish easy to make, you can serve it at buffets, on special occasions and your guests will be thrilled.
The same recipe can be made with boneless lamb or goat meat.
Pork loin stuffed and wrapped in vine leaves
Preparation time : 30′
Baking time : 2 – 2 1/2 hours
Servings: 8 (as a main dish)
1 ½ – 2 kilos boneless pork loin or leg
- Freshly ground black pepper
8 – 10 slices bacon
- Olive oil (about 1 cup)
8 slices halloumi cheese
100 gr. feta cheese crumbles
- 2 tablespoons mustard
1 onion blended
2 cloves garlic blended
2- 3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh (chopped) or dried mint
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
16 vine leaves boiled
- 1 cup water
- Juice of 1 lemon
For garnishing (optional)
- Various vegetables sautéed, such as mushrooms, onions, carrots, Brussels sprouts etc.
Ask your butcher to cut the meat and to flatten it so that it may be stuffed and rolled. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and oregano.
- On a parchment paper lay the vine leave and place the meat on top of them.
- Sauté the bacon in a non stick frying pan, without oil. Drain on kitchen paper.
- In a food processor blend the onion and the garlic with a few tablespoons of olive oil and add this on top of the meat.
Place the bacon, halloumi cheese, feta cheese, some mustard and the parsley and mint on top of the meat.
- Then roll the meat and put a couple of toothpicks to secure, then wrap with the vine leaves and finally with the paper.
In a baking tin place the potatoes. If they are small, pierce them with a knife and if they are bigger cut into big pieces, add salt, pepper, oregano, lemon juice, oil and water. Place the meat roll in the centre.
Preheat oven at 180 degrees C and bake until the potatoes are ready. Half way through turn the potatoes and add more water if necessary. When done remove paper and remove toothpicks. Allow to cool down before slicing.
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,