I am not really sure of the name of the fish as I have found it in a dictionary as dusky grouper.InGreek there is only one name for it: Rofos and then looking it out in the internet I saw that there are a few types of groupers: Red Grouper, Dusky grouper, Golden grouper etc., so can I guess from its colour this is a red grouper? If you know the correct name please let me know.
However, for this recipe, you can use any kind of grouper or other big fish you like such as a gilt head, a red snapper, a sea bass, a trout or a salmon. Don’t be afraid to use the salt as the fish will not get salty.If you like you don’t have to scale the fish as the scales gets discarded together with the skin.
I saw this recipe more than a year ago, before I began blogging at Elias Mamalakis’ T.V. show and I could not remember exactly what ingredients he used but I found the recipe on his site.As I often say, I cannot stick to recipes and whilst he made it with sea bass and filled the fish with mushrooms, garlic, parsley and peppercorns, I chose to add lemon slices as well and added my favourite spice cardamom. Since I found this spice I have been addicted to it and could not resist adding it as well. Mamalakis used only salt to cover the fish but as I had only one packet of salt and discovered half way that it was not enough to cover the fish, I added two egg whites and some flour and remaining salt and made a salt batter to cover it.Instead of pouring butter on the vegetables as he did, I made a ladolemono sauce with oregano.
Rofos sto Alati (Whole Grouper in Salt)
Preparation time:15 minutes
Cooking time:1 hour
Servings : 5
- 1 ½ kilos of red grouper or any other whole fish such as red grouper or sea bas
- 1 mushroom, chopped
- 1 cup of parsley, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 lemon chopped in slices
- A few cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon of mixed black, green and pink peppercorns
- 1 kilo of coarse sea salt
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 egg whites
For the salad:
- 5 medium potatoes
- 5 carrots
- 5 courgettes
- 8 broccoli florets, all steamed
- Scale, gut and wash the fish. (Scaling is not necessary as the scales will stick on the crust and the skin and will be discarded).
- In a bowl put the salt, flour and egg whites and mix with a spoon. Addwater gradually until you have a very thick batter.(You may not need all the water).
- Wipe the mushroom and cut it into slices, as well as the lemon, parsley and garlic. Mix in the cardamom pods and the peppercorns and stuff the fish. Place a small piece of aluminum foil around the opening to secure, or secure with a toothpick.
- Layer the tin with some of the salt mixture and place the grouper on top. Cover with the remaining salt mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 180ο C / 350ο F and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and leave it for a few minutes to cool down and then break the crust with a small hammer and remove crust as well as skin.
- Serve in a platter with the steamed vegetables and serve with the ladolemono dressing.
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,