One of the things Switzerland is famous of is Chocolates and of course I couldn’t resist buying a lot. I have been experimenting with making chocolates during the past months but I haven’t posted any recipe yet as I was planning to post them before Christmas.

The best of the chocolates I bought in Switzerland were those with coriander and cinnamon and that gave me the idea of this recipe and I added some pomegranate which paired well with the flavour. I don’t say that mine were as good as the Swiss ones because surely they add other ingredients as well, but they were good and very tasty.

Homemade Chocolates with pomegranate and cinnamon

Preparation time: 15 minutes

Cooking time: 5 minutes

Makes : about 25 chocolates

• ½ pomegranate
  • 200 grams black pure chocolate
  • 1 teaspoon butter
  • ½ teaspoon ground coriander
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • chocolate molds, or wax paper

1. Remove the seeds from the pomegranate and put aside.
  2. In a bain marie (double boiler), melt the chocolate and when it melts, add the butter and the fresh cream and mix.
  3. Grind the coriander or crush it with a pestle and mortar and add it in the chocolate together with the cinnamon and pomegranate seeds and fold gently with a silicon spatula until the seeds are thoroughly covered, then spoon out into the molds. I made some adding a little white chocolate first in the moulds and then the dark chocolate.
  4. If you don’t have molds just spoon out globs of the mixture, whatever size you like, on a cookie tray, lined with parchment paper.
  5. Take the cookie tray or the molds and place them in the deep freezer for a few hours before unmolding.
  6. Melt the white chocolate the same way. I used a large syringe I bought from the pharmacy, without of course using the needle to decorate on top.
  7. Store in the refrigerator.

Tags: , , ,

22 Comments on Homemade Chocolates with pomegranate and cinnamon

Wow, they look marvelous! A great flavor combo! I love your chocolate mould…

Have a great day!

Wow Ivy I’m impressed! I find sydney’s weather quite humid during the summer months to even attempt something like this but the recipe sounds so easy I must give it a go. I think I’ll forego the coriander in this and maybe add cardamom! Yumm! Thanks for the inspiration! the chocolates look very professional…

3. Rosa, I got to taste these after your suggestions and I am thankful that you did.

Peter, I was thinking that a second choice could be cardamom as well but you should first taste these so that you may compare. These two odd combination of flavours do match together.

4. Rosie says:

WOW oh WOW Ivy they look gorgeous!!

Rosie x

5. Hopie says:

Great ideas for flavors! I bet pomegranate is great in chocolate!

6. I’m glad that you sent these to the contest Ivy!! When I first read the post I thought they would be perfect!!

7. Rachel says:

Sounds like you were very inspired by your recent trip to Switzerland. A great pomegranate entry.

8. Adam says:

Oh I think you’re just being modest. Those look wonderful, and I bet you could make the Swiss jealous if you kept it up :) Love the mix of flavors you put together. This is nice holiday treat.

9. sofia says:

oooh, lovely! I’ve been wanting to get more into making chocolates and confections–the flavor combination sounds amazing.

Wow Ivy hat off to you for making this. Looks really professional.
    Loves that you used syringe for decoration. I used them when i have to use liquors in cakes.
    WIsh i had few of these wonderful creation /art of chocolate.

11. Thanks everybody for liking what I did.

Sofia, welcome. Are you the same Koukla I met in Group Recipes?

Happly Cook, I do this as well, especially to my Christmas Cake ;D

12. mikky says:

they really look great… :)

13. anudivya says:

Ivy! Are you back?
    THis is wonderful, how do you even come up with such breathtaking stuff? Looks and sounds lovely.

14. Maria says:

Those chocolates look delicious! Decadent and beautiful … and I wish I had a couple in front of me right now.

15. Good Luck Ivy! I hope you win the POM contest! :-)

16. PG says:

that’s a wonderful recipe!

17. elly says:

Oh my goodness, these sound SO good! I need to give these a try. I love pomegranite but I never buy them because I am always scared to deal with cleaning them and getting the seeds out, haha.

18. Niki says:

I’m impressed!!! I love making chocolates, especially with being at the bakery for my internship lately. These look amazing. I have to say, I’m a bit anti-coriander, but I would have no problem trying these without them!
    Have you ever tried a bit of chili powder with a cherry or pomegranate filling? Lindt makes some bars like that and they are so good… It’s def something I want to try and I’ll have to try them right along with these!

19. Lisa says:

Clearly, a winning recipe! Goodness, these sound amazing.

20. Hey Niki, where have you disappeared? I was inspired by the Lindt chocolates I bought from Switzerland. I was thinking to add a little bit of black pepper but I changed my mind last minute. Next batch I shall definitely add either black pepper or a little bit of harissa. I prefer it to chili powder. I’ve made chocolates with cherries but again I did not add the pepper. BTW if you add the quantity I mention you won’t even notice that it has coriander.

21. Abigail says:

Ivy, sorry I haven’t been around lately either! I’ve got three guys with colds in my household…I’m so behind in reading blogs! I miss it!

This chocolate looks absolutely amazing…

22. Mary says:

Ivy, the flavor combination here looks amazing. I’ve pinned the image to Pinterest to share it and to keep it for myself to try something along these lines before pomegranates go out of season, with a few substitutions (like coconut butter instead of butter).
    Mary recently posted..Winter Jewel Salad with Pomegranate VinaigretteMy Profile