Tyropitakia 2

I am sure you have all heard of Spanakopita, so the word Spanakopitakia may ring a bell to you.

Spanakopitakia is the diminutive of Spanakopita which are small spinach triangles.  They, are really so easy to make they taste so good and are perfect to serve as appetizers.

I usually make them with fresh spinach but it was a last minute decision so I had to use what I had in the deep freezer. If you use fresh spinach follow the directions given in the links above.

It’s still morning in the western hemisphere, so you can quite easily make these for your thanksgiving meal.

Spanakopitakia (spinach triangles)

Preparation time: 30 minutes

Cooking time: 10 minutes

Makes: about 20

• 250 grams of frozen spinach
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 2 small garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 spoonfuls finely cut dill
  • 2 spoonfuls finely cut parsley
  • 1 egg
  • 100 grams of feta
  • 50 grams anthotyro (optional) (*check out link to see pictures)
  • 2 spoonfuls of olive oil
  • Phyllo pastry
  • Olive oil for frying

After thawing spinach squeeze out any excess water.

In a non stick frying pan sauté onion and garlic until translucent. Add spinach and sauté as well. Remove from the heat until it cools and season with salt and pepper, add parsley and dill and then mix in the egg and cheese.

Cut the phyllo into 7 cm (less than 2 inches) wide pieces and place a spoonful of filling. Cover spinach forming a triangle.

Then continue folding going forward, then left and then right until all the phyllo is folded.

When all are folded, heat the olive oil and fry until golden on both sides. Remove on kitchen paper to absorb excess oil.

Potato Salad with Green Olives

This is a very easy potato salad but its taste depends mainly on the olives. I used the tsakistes olives I made last month, taking also some of the olive oil used together with garlic and coriander seeds. If you use other type of olives, then you will get a totally different result and taste.

Regarding the potatoes I used, (I usually use Cypriot potatoes) I am not really sure what type of potatoes they are. In Cyprus and Greece we don’t have the varieties which are used abroad but as I have explained this in a previous post, I think they are called Mondial or Spunta.

Cooking time: About 30 minutes depending on the type of potato

Preparation time: 10 minutes

• 3 potatoes
  • 10 green tsakistes olives, together with a tablespoon of olive, with some garlic and coriander seeds
  • 1 onion, cut into half rings
  • 1 spoonful butter
  • 1 teaspoon crashed rosemary
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Boil potatoes with skin and peel. Chop into cubes and set aside.

Remove pips from the olives

Chop onion and sauté in butter.

Mix in potatoes and add rosemary. Remove from the heat and mix in tsakistes olives together with some coriander and garlic.

I know I promised yesterday to give you all the remaining recipes but unfortunately it’s quite late, so I will have to post the remaining recipes tomorrow.

NEXT WEEK 1 – 7 December, I will be hosting Weekend Herb Blogging, so please keep your recipes containing vegetables, fruit, herb, plant, or flower until next week!!!

You can find my Greek recipes in my cookbooks «More Than A Greek Salad», and«Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!» both available on all Amazon stores. Read more here.

Other related Recipes:

Homemade Spanakopita from Scratch

Tags: , , , , , ,

29 Comments on Spanakopitakia (spinach triangles) and Potato Salad with Olives

I love Spanakopita! I’ve made that speciality a few times already… The salad looks interesting and highly scrumptious!

Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving,

2. Can you believe that I made these little bundles for my wedding reception at home.Of course this was long before I had ever heard of other Greek cheeses other than feta. What I wouldn’t do to have this on my table right now!!!

3. Psychgrad says:

I’m planning to make spanikopita this week. I’ll have to learn more about anthotyro.

Hosting next week? Wow – you’re a busy blogger.

4. Ooh, I LOVE spanakopita!! Ivy, what is anthotyro? Is that a cheese?

5. Lakshmi says:

Spanakopitakia is interesting. Love the combo of spinach and cheese.

6. yasmeen says:

Spanakopitakia look lot like samosas,yummy!. Tasty potato salad with my favorite olives:).Happy thanksgiving to you too Ivy:)

Spanakopita is the best! I’m glad you posted this Ivy. And that potato salad has my name all over it! I absolutely love the taste of salty olives

8. PG says:

These look wonderful! I think I have eaten a Turkish version of tyropita here. These look wonderful!
    And I love this wonderful potato salad! Very tempting!

9. Hope that all of you who celebrated Thanksgiving had a lovely time. Thanks for your lovely comments.
    Regarding anthotyro it is a traditional unpasteurized Greek cheese made from sheep milk – and/or goat-milk whey with some added milk. The cheese is soft, snow-white, creamy, and granular; It is usually used as a table or dessert cheese and as an ingredient in pies (pitas).

Wow both the dishes looks deliciious. It would be difficult for me tochoose.
    My hubby doesn’t like spincah , can i substitute something else for it.
    I love feta cheese, i always use them in salade etc….. or just eat them with slice of bread

I am lovin’ the spanakopitakia – we made a version of this at my baking class in July, and boy was it good.

12. Rosie says:

Your spanikopita looks gorgeous Ivy! As yet I haven’t tried making these but viewing yours makes me want to get into my kitchen and have a go :)

Rosie x

13. Happy Cook, Greeks make pita (pies) out of anything, so my answer would be yes but it will not be called spanakopita. You can make it with leeks (prassopita), with any wild greens, even nettles (chortopita) and a combination of swiss chard and other greens, in each case however, you get a slightly different taste.

14. Hopie says:

Both those recipes sound delicious. I love spanakopita, mmmm. I’ve never seen it made in little triangles like that. Nice presentation.

I feel I should celebrate ThanksGiving too ;D
    Your Spanakopita looks fantastic and I’m sure this Greek cheese is not that strong… 😀

16. RecipeGirl says:

Spanikopita are my favorite. We make these every year for our Christmas party and find that they freeze well too.

That potato salad looks perfect. I love the green olive addition!

17. Joan Nova says:

I love spanokopita. I also liked your potato salad (because I don’t care too much for the American version with mayo). I was surprised, however, that there was no splash of vinegar or lemon juice.

18. […] I had some frozen spinach, so I prepared a spinach filling,  from the leftover of which I made the spanakopitakia by adding the cheese and the egg. The other ingredients I had were tsakistes olives, halloumi, […]

19. […] I had some frozen spinach, so I prepared a spinach filling,  from the leftover of which I made the spanakopitakia by adding the cheese and the egg. The other ingredients I had were tsakistes olives, halloumi, […]

20. Joan, I did not add any lemon or vinegar as the olives are marinated in oil and lemon juice.

Ivy thankyou for the info.

22. Happy belated Thanksgiving to you!!
    I always buys these and always thought they were so hard to make! But your step by step photo’s make it look so easy! Thank you!

23. Lisa says:

I love spanakopitakia, though I have never made my own. And I never would have thought to include olives in a potato salad! What a fantastic idea.

I like the filling similar to yours for the pites…just Feta is too pronounced.

The salad is as Greek as they get, remind me of the big green olives from Halkidiki.

25. giz says:

You know I’m totally getting hooked on Greek food now. I’m going to make these tomorrow but will baking them instead of frying them make a huge difference to the flavour?

26. Corinne says:

Mmm, Ivy those look wonderful, I’ve never heard of these, but I see the spelling is diffrent… i love spinach pie, these look like a wonderful hand-held alternative!

27. What can be said about Spanakopita? It is a universal favourite! And potato salad with green olives? Another winner!

28. […] offers a version of ’spanakopitakia‘ which are small, triangle-shaped spanakopitas. These are very quick & easy to make and, […]

29. Eftychia says:

Very tasty. I love spanakopita. Thank you for the recipe Ivy.
    Eftychia recently posted..Green Beans and ChickenMy Profile