One of my good friends,  Cynthia, of Tastes Like Home, has published her first book “My Caribbean Cookbook, Tastes Like Home”.  Good Luck, Cynthia with your book.

The book is now available online for sale and please read more about it here.

The book is more than just an average cookbook as through the various articles, the user gets to learn about Caribbean culture through food and gets a deeper understanding and appreciation for what they are preparing and eating.

Personally, I knew nothing about Caribbean cooking until I started reading Cynthia’s Blog. In fact most of the times I comment on Cynthia’s recipes is that everything is new to me and many ingredients and words are unknown but her stunning photographs and stylish presentation gave me an idea how delicious the recipes in her cookbook may be.

When I read about the announcement of the Royal Foodie Joust for January, which was a special edition for Cynthia,  it was one of the few times, when I saw ingredients I knew I could handle, so I was sure I was going to participate in this Joust.   However, Val, Giz and I were working very hard to start our own project on the Cookbook we shall be publishing and because of the busy Christmas holidays, it skipped my mind, as  I was under the impression that I still had time until the 6th of January to submit my entry.  Today when I visited the Forum to see the details I realized that there was a poll going on.

I am sorry I missed the Joust but nevertheless here is how I came up with this recipe.

When I read about the three ingredients which were Coconut (or coconut milk), rice and bananas  I had no idea what to make.  I google searched Carribean Recipes and browsing through this site, I saw the recipe Banana Bread.  I never knew that Banana Bread was Carribean and reading through the ingredients I realized that I didn’t have most of them but I did have 3 ripe bananas at home, so I remembered the banana cupcakes I made some months back, I changed some ingredients and made them into muffins, to make something new.

Preparation time:   15 minutes

• 4 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 3 ripe bananas
  • 1 cup of coconut milk
  • 150 grams bitter chocolate, cut into small pieces

Directions

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line muffin tins with paper muffin cases.

Mash the bananas and set aside for a moment.

Cream the butter with the sugar, until white and fluffy, and add eggs, one by one until they are fully combined. Add milk, mashed bananas and vanilla essence.

Lower mixer speed to minimum and add the flour and baking powder.  Finally mix in the chocolate morsels.

Divide the cupcake batter equally between the 24 muffin holes and smooth over the top and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until cooked through.

Cool completely on a wire rack.

Tags: , ,

14 Comments on Delish Chocolate Banana Muffins

1. jeena says:

Happy new year Ivy.

Your banana muffins looks great. :-)

A great recipe! These muffins must taste wonderful!

Cheers,

Rosa

3. DebinHawaii says:

These muffins look fantastic! Banana and chocolate is one of my favorite combos. So sorry you missed the RFJ deadline this month. I almost did too , but I am glad you posted them.

4. I am sorry you missed the Joust, Ivy, but like you said the impact will still be the same! This is a beautiful tribute to Cynthia!

5. Gloria says:

Your chocolate banana muffins look really delish!!! Mmmm, chocolate and bananas mixed together. What a wonderful combination. :)

6. giz says:

Love banana muffins – add some chocolate and you have heaven.

These look great Ivy – another good work morning tea idea.

Yum! They look really moist…I love most banana muffin recipes Ivy.

9. PG says:

cupcakes are looking lovely and I’m sure they tasted wonderful. I also made banana muffins last month, but without coconut, but it’s use might actually enhance the taste tremendously. yummy!

These look wonderful, especially with the coconut milk in them. You’ve stirred up a huge craving in me!

Ivy, love banana & chocolate as a combo and I’m sure friends & relatives will love muffins – our’s do!

12. Ivy, choco-banana is one of my favourite combos. My wife makes a banana bread in which she regularly includes chocolate chips and it is simply excellent! Your muffins look great and I am certain they tasted as good as they look.!

13. Niki says:

Banana and chocolate is a combo no one can go wrong with!!! They look great!

14. Bobby says:

yum, these muffins looks great. Banana and chocolate, I want one of these right now! I also like the addition of coconut milk.