I have been preserving beets in vinegar (ξύδι = pronounced ksydi = xydata (in vinegar)) for many years but I have never blogged about it. In most of my recipes with beets, I usually roast or boil more so that I can preserve them and I have used these preserves in a lot of my recipes.
The natural combination of sweet from the beets and sour from the vinegar is just perfect. By preserving them, you can have them all year round in the refrigerator and the more time they are left in the vinegar, the better. You can use them in salads, for decorating dishes or as a meze just as they are.
The recipe is included in my cookbook Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!
Beetroot salad with cilantro, orange and walnuts
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 2 large Pantzaria xydata (roasted beetroots, preserved in vinegar)
- ½ cup walnut halves
1 orange peeled and sliced (white pith removed)
1 cup freshly cut coriander (cilantro)
For the vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 clove of garlic
- Freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon thyme honey
- Place the beetroot, oranges, coriander and walnuts in a salad dish.
- In a food processor or mixer add the vinaigrette ingredients and mix.
- Drizzle over the salad, mix and you are ready to serve.
Other relevant recipes:
Beetroot salad with pesto
Beetroot salad with Anchovies
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,