Pastitsio is a staple food for all Greek families and I cannot think of anybody who does not like this dish. However during lent we abstain from eating any kind of meat or products derived from animals and although I have seen some vegan recipes, most of them have milk in the béchamel. For this reason I decided to make my own recipe which we can enjoy during Lent.

To replace the meat sauce, I decided to make a vegetable sauce and added a variety of vegetables and herbs.  Although normally I would  add only the canned tomatoes, I decided to added an extra cubed tomato for some extra  colour in the dish and the carrots, combined with the onions, added a lovely sweetness to the sauce.  The filling turned out to be too much for the quantity I needed, so you can either add half the ingredients or store the remaining in the deep freezer to be used another time, as I did.

Although I do not have a garden but merely a small balcony, I grow a few herbs in pots and I’ve recently bought some more herbs so you will be seeing a lot of these in my recipes and of course the difference is amazing. In this recipe, I used fresh parsley, oregano, rosemary and thyme from my pots and laurel I picked that morning after walking at Hymettus mountain, which added a lovely aromatic taste to the sauce.

The recipe is included in my cookbook Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

30 Comments on Pastitsio Nistisimo (Vegan)

A delicious looking Pastitsio!

Cheers,

Rosa

2. Ben says:

I wasn’t aware the Orthodox Lent didn’t allow dairy until you informed me. I am not sure if the Catholic one does, but I remember people in Mexico eating cheese during Lent. LOL that’s what I get for not being religious :-p This pastitsio sounds really good. I guess I will have to try to make some soon since I have seen a lot of recipes for it around lately. Great entry for PPN :)

3. Ruth says:

I particularly love the heart photo and what a fantastic bechamel for the pastitsio too.

Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

4. I have been waiting to see this delicious dish after you hinted with your bechamel sauce. It does sound delicious and I can see why the family would rave about it and want seconds.

5. I’d been wondering about how to make a vegetarian pastitsio. This sounds fantastic!

I have never heard of this dish, but then i am not a greek, it looks so yumm, it islike a real comforting food.
    Yeah i too don’t have fancy camera or lights etc…. and not photoshop, i am giving hints to my hubby to buy photoshop :-)

7. Maria says:

This sounds delicious … telika to pastitsio mas mporei na parei polles morfes! Love this one Ivy; it is flavorful and hearty and I am sure you do not even notice the missing meat, or even want it in any way.

8. bee says:

this looks delicious!! thanks for your entry, dear ivy.

9. Rosie says:

What a great dish for Lent Ivy – I have never heard of this before and it’s always lovely to keep learning new dishes 😀 Nice click too

Rosie x

I love this version, Ivy! It has so many delicious goodies in it!

11. Abigail says:

The heart photo is so creative and what a beautiful verdant green! I would love to try your pastitsio someday!

I don’t think I can ever get enough pastitsio recipes Ivy! This vegetarian version looks delicious and tasty!

13. Soma says:

I like the vegetarian version Ivy. I see that u used the vegan bechamel in this! I never had pastitsio before.

I saw your pic in the gallery .. very nice idea!

14. bobby says:

This dish looks really delicious and healthy.

15. Marla says:

Mmmm this has a lot of wonderful ingredients. I love your collage as well. Very nicely done as always!

16. yasmeen says:

Appetizing dish,with herbs fresh from mountains and a vegan béchamel ,a must try pasta recipe:).I like the click on the wood :)

17. sunita says:

Lovely recipe :-)

Btw, thank you for the wishes…hope your daughter had a wonderful day on the 11th; I’m glad it’s a special day for you too :-)

18. Jude says:

Great recipe. I’ll keep this in mind for lent. Thanks!

19. Lore says:

Gorgeous!! The filling looks so delightful with all those different colours and ingredients. Also love how well it holds together. Thank you for sending it my way

20. Lisa says:

What a wonderful creation. I’ve never tried this, but I wish I could have some right now. Lovely images too Ivy.

Your Lenten version of Pastitsio comes with a wonderful and suprising result. You know how one is always hungry during Lent – this dish can alleve that.

22. Simona says:

What a nice recipe, Ivy! Your Pastitsio looks wonderful.

23. PG says:

this looks so good! And WOW! A very innovative and I’m sure a wonderful recipe of a dairy and milk free bechamel. A lovel idea of showing all the steps in one picture, looks beautiful too.

24. […] Pastitsio Nistisimo (Vegan) […]

25. […] made is not how my mother used to make it so after making the sauce for the Vegan Moussakas and Pastitsio, which tasted great, I decided to use those ingredients combined with rice.  The filling […]

26. Rajee says:

Appreciate ur effort. Good and nice presentation!

27. […] West Meets East – WOOD You Like Some Chocolate With Your Cinnamon? @ Gato Azul Love the Woods @ kopiaste Delicious Dessert or Diet Food? @ Heart and Hearth Pan de Podadores a hidden object @ 1x umruehren […]