To end up with the Foodbuzz 24, 24, 24 recipes which were new I made A Chocolate Mousse Mocha Cake. I used lady fingers which I wet with coffee liqueur, a chocolate mousse in the middle and decorated it with whipped cream, chocolate shavings and pistachio nuts.
However when I prepared the cake I did not have the time to weigh ingredients and take notes and photographs. However, I have made a similar cake in the past which I am posting today.
Mars chocolates were my favourites when I was a kid and I haven’t eaten any for years now but when I was shopping in the supermarket recently I saw them and put a package in the cart wondering if I could use them in a cake. Et voila. This cake is a rich chocolate cake with a mocha cream cheese filling and a chocolate- caramel ganache.
Chocolate Mocha Cake, Recipe by Ivy
- 1 sponge cake
- ½ cup coffee liqueur
For the Filling and decoration
- 400 grams heavy cream 35%
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Three quarters of the above mixture
- 200 grams cream cheese (mascarpone or philadelphia)
- 100 grams couverture chocolate
- 1 tsp instant coffee
- 50 grams mars chocolate (1 bar)
- 125 grams couverture chocolate
- 2 mars chocolates x 50 grams each
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons low fat cream
- Remaining whipped cream mixed with 1 tablespoon cocoa powder to make it dark.
- Chocolate stars (optional)
- Prepare a dark sponge cake, in a 28 cm spring form pan, preferably from previous day. See how to make sponge cake here.The only thing different in this sponge cake is that I added therind of one lemon.
- In a double boiler melt the 100 grams chocolate and wait for it to cool, mixing it a few times.
- Meanwhile prepare whipping cream until peaks form.Reserve some for the decoration which refrigerate.In the remaining add the cream cheese and coffee and beat it until incorporated.Now add the melted chocolate and mix.
- Cut the sponge cake and wet both pieces with coffee liqueur.Place one piece in a platter and place the ring of the spring form around the sponge. Add filling on top.
- Melt the Mars chocolate and add over filling.Cover with the second half of sponge cake.
- In the same double boiler now add the 2 Mars chocolates and when it melts add the couverture chocolate and mix until it melts as well.Add butter, honey and cream and mix to incorporate. Add on top of the cake and refrigerate for 2 – 3 hours, until it sets.
- Run a knife around the rims of the pan to loosen cake and remove the spring form.
- Decorate with whipping cream and choco stars.
Mother’s Day is coming up on May 9 in many countries around the world – it’s an important day since no mother should have to choose between feeding herself and feeding her child, yet millions do. A child dies every 6 seconds because of hunger, we can change that and help a mother feed her child for Mother’s Day.
As this is the last post of the week I wish you all to have a Great Day this coming Sunday.
To our mothers who have given so much of themselves to care for us.
Happy Mother’s Day to all of you.
Other similar cakes: