June is almost over and I need some holidays.  We haven’t yet decided when and where to go this year but it will be some time in July and somewhere in Greece.

Although our holidays will just be for a few days,  I want to focus on a few other matters I need to finish, so I will not be posting for a few months, although occasionally taking a break, I will be reading your posts.

Before taking a break I want to post a few seasonal recipes with cherries.

Reading about the history of pickles it stretches so far back into antiquity that no definite time has been established for their origin,  but they are estimated to be over 4,000 years old.

In 2,030 B.C., cucumbers native to India were brought to the Tigris Valley. There, they were first preserved and eaten as pickles.

Cucumbers are mentioned at least twice in the Bible (Numbers 11:5 and Isaiah 1:8) and history records their usage over 3,000 years ago in Western Asia, ancient Egypt and Greece.

In 850 B.C., Aristotle praised the healing effects of cured cucumbers.

In Greece we say that any vegetable that is edible can be made into a pickle.   In Greece, especially in the North and the islands as well as Cyprus we make all sorts of pickles like cabbage, cauliflower, cucumbers, carrots, peppers, eggplants, capers (not only the buds but also the leaves and berries), celery, courgettes, olives, beetroot, mushrooms, green beans, etc., but also seafood such as anchovies or octopus, even quail boiled eggs, and are served as appetizers.  Unfortunately, in Cyprus the also used to make “ampelopoulia = birds of the vines” pickled and are considered a delicacy to please the most demanding palette.  Fortunately enough they are now protected although many of the birds are illegally served up as expensive delicacies over 5 Euros a piece, even though trapping and consumption is strictly banned.

However, I had never heard of pickling fruit as in Greece we preserve our fruit by making them into spoon sweets.

I first read about pickled cherries at Lisa’s post and was very intrigued to try them.   As I wasn’t very sure if we would like them I just made a small amount and I just added the spices and flavours I prefer and it was very easy making them.

If you like pickled vegetables and fruit I am sure you will love them.  I used them in salads, on appetizers etc.

Just to mention a few of the properties of both sweet and tart cherries:   They are rich in antioxidants, including anthocyanins, catechins, chlorogenic acid, flavonal glycosides, and melatonin. Cherries also contain beta carotene, vitamin C, iron, magnesium, fiber, and potassium, making them good for the blood as they are rich in iron, for diabetes as they help lower blood sugar, they are valued for their cleansing properties as the fruit is believe to remove toxins. Cherries have shown to contain anti-inflammatory properties, help insomnia, they are beneficial for the heart, they protect against cancer and recent studies show that they help in weight loss.

Source: JN The Journal of Nutrition, Health and NutritionThe world’s healthies food, Wise Geek.

Pickled cherries

• 500 grams cherries
  • 2 ¼ cup wine vinegar
  • 1/3 cup demerera sugar
  • 6 cloves
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 lemon rind
  • 1 tsp peppercorns (pink, black, green and white)
  • ½ tsp coarse sea salt

Put everything but the cherries in a saucepan, and bring to the boil, simmer gently for about 10 minutes.

Put the cherries in a bowl and pour the hot liquid to cover them.  Allow to cool at room temperature preferably overnight.

Store in a sterilized jar in the refrigerator.

Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!!

Tags: , ,

22 Comments on Pickled Cherries

1. Priya says:

Woww interesting pickled cherries, thanks for sharing..
    My recent post Amaranth Stalks, Oats & Channadal Stir-fry

A very interesting way of preserving cherries! They must go really well with cheese.

Cheers and have a lovely weekend,

My recent post ZWEISIMMEN – A CLOSER LOOK

3. Ivy

I have never heard of pickled cherries, even though the Lebanese like the Greeks, love to pickle a lot of stuff (not octopus though! ) ; your recipe is so so easy! Please let us know what you end up using these pickled cherries for.

Wishing you a great time on your vacation; I am thinking seriously of spending a week in Greece in August or early September and would love to find out from you which spot in Greece is the most relaxing? the best beach? also, would you be interested in coffee with other bloggers like Katerina and Tobias?

4. Soma says:

The picture reminded me of the poached grapes recipe that you had done. I had planned to do that, but haven't yet. yet another one added to my list now. nice easy recipe.

I can’t recall ever having tried pickled cherries Ivy. I’m very curious about their taste. Always like to try something new. Enjoy your break.
    Peter G recently posted..Hazelnut and Chocolate CakeMy Profile

6. Maria says:

I too have never heard of pickled cherries but can imagine they would be wonderful on a salad with various greens. Have a wonderful holiday Ivy … kalo kalokairi kai kales diakopes!
    My recent post “Deconstructed Caponata” and Feta Baked with Peperoncini

7. Myrto says:

Geia sou Ivy!
    I've tried all sort of pickles before, I particularly like plums (the Japanese eat them a lot) never tried cherries! Your recipe looks fantastic! I have to try it soon!

8. Sook says:

I have never had picked cherries before. I bet they are yummy!
    My recent post Chocolate Biscotti

9. Joanne says:

This sounds absolutely delicious Ivy! I can imagine these pickled cherries with marscapone cheese. There's an abundance of cherries at the market so I would like to try this out!

I was intrigued by Lisa's pickled cherries too! I bet they are delicious! Enjoy your holiday and your break Ivy!

11. Haven't pickled anything so far this year…your pickled cherries look fantastic!
    My recent post Spaghetti with Cape Hake Sauce

12. alison says:

it's very interesting,i never heard about this mode to preserve cherries,look so fine!

13. Katerina says:

This looks very interesting and summery. Have nice vacations will talk over e-mails.

14. Your pickled cherries look great! Thanks for the mention!
    My recent post Brewer’s Blondies

15. […] Here are a few things I made with the pickled cherries. […]

16. brii says:

i just eat them! my cherries!!
    I absolutely MUST try this, I adore pickling!!
    My recent post pink Saturday -some old memories in pink

17. Mariana says:

Hi Ivy, pickled cherries is such a terrific idea. Greeks make pickled quinces and pears but no cherries. I would love to pair them with a rich goat cheese!
    Mariana recently posted..SUMMER SALADMy Profile

18. […] Pickled cherries […]

19. pickled eggs says:

I just love picked Cherries. I always have them in our kitchen.
    pickled eggs recently posted..EGGS PICKLED SPICY GAL, CS 4/42CT GAL, 03-0363 WILLAMETTE EGG FARMS SPECIALTY FOODMy Profile