Before giving you the recipe for this salad which I made last month, I would like to thank all of you who voted for me in the first and second challenges of Project Food Blog, of Foodbuzz.   I did not advance to the third challenge but I wish to congratulate all my friends who did and wish you good luck and of course, shall continue to vote for you, in the  new challenges to come.

An update on my book.  Although I have posted this on Facebook, I know that a lot of my readers are not on Facebook, so the news is that I am having some technical problems.  I have all the content ready but as it was created on Word, when creating the PDF the pictures are downsized, so I have to do this all over again.

I’ve started reading tutorials on how to do this on open office and although at first sight it looks like word, preparing a book is quite complicated, so I will need a lot of time to study it, without distractions.   For this reason I will not be visiting you as often as I would like as blog hopping is  time consuming.   I will continue reading your posts from my reader and from Facebook and once in a while I shall post an easy recipe.

Regarding open office 3.2, if any one knows this program well and wants to share some tips, I will appreciate it.  Please leave me a message and I shall get in touch with you.

I know that figs are almost over, but if you can still get some (we still get them in Greece) I urge you to try it.  Halloumi and figs are such a perfect match and if you love rocket (arugula) I am sure you will love this salad.   I prefer halloumi pan fried or grilled in salads and when pan frying the halloumi  I decided to toss in the figs, which I caramelized them to bring out their sweetness:  A bite of salty halloumi, sweet figs, crunchy walnuts and peppery rocket is just perfect.  The vinaigrette was tossed in the last minute after the picture was taken.

Green Salad with Caramelized Grapes and Halloumi

The second salad is quite different with more greens in the salad.   The grapes were caramelized and a vinaigrette was also used.  Vinaigrettes are not very photogenic, so I avoid adding them before taking a picture.

This recipe as well as another recipe with halloumi and grapes are included in my cookbook Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!

Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!!

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

14 Comments on Rocket Salad with Halloumi, Walnuts and Figs

1. Katerina says:

Halloumi is a favorite of mine. This salad is a complete meal. I like the adding of fruits in the salads.

A gorgeous salad! I love halloumi.

Cheers,

Rosa
    My recent post A TASTE OF YELLOW

3. alison says:

how much i could to taste halloumi cheese,but here ,in my town,it isn't …
    the salad is a great combination!love it!
    My recent post SALATA DE FASOLE VERDE SI RIDICHEGREEN BEAN @RADISH SALAD

4. 5starfoodie says:

A fantastic salad – I love the combo of halloumi and figs!

5. I would consider myself in heaven with this salad~ wishing you to continue your book project, as I am planning to buy it and read it!
    Take care, Joumana
    My recent post Winkles from the shore at Tyre

6. Maria says:

A delicious salad Ivy! Perfect blend of flavors.

7. Simona says:

You reminded me that I should try making halloumi again. My first try was edible, and in fact we ate it all, but not really something to show. This is a very nice salad. Good luck with your book project. I use NeoOffice, which is sort of Open Office specifically for Mac. I have never done a big project like a book. However, I'd be glad to try to answer your questions, if that can help.
    My recent post riepilogo del weekend di erbe aromatiche numero 253

8. Ivy, the salad looks so healthy and nutritious!

9. Ivy, I think you just stole my heart with this salad! I love the combination of earthy-sweet-and mellow you got going on here. Now, I must sprint for those last few figs…
    My recent post Nutmeg Scented Gnocchi with Sage Burnt Butter Sauce

10. cheffresco says:

Great salad! And good luck on the book!

11. Mamatouille says:

This looks and sounds gorgeous–I love figs and cheese together. I've never had halloumi but I've read about it before and would love to try it. Can't wait to try this recipe, Ivy! Yum! And good luck with your open office editing and your book.

12. fimère says:

une salade remplie de bonnes saveurs, j’aime beaucoup

bonne journée

13. Nadji says:

Je n'ai pas encore cuisiné le halloumi.
    Ta recette est très tentante et je voudrai l'essayer bientôt.
    See soon

14. Mike says:

My brother recommended I might like this website. He was entirely right.
    This post actually made my day. You can not imagine just how much time I had spent for this info!
    Thanks!