I love accompanying most of my dishes with Patates Lemonates  sto fourno (Baked Lemony Potatoes) which is a classic Greek side dish with olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice and water.   When we add meat to them such as chicken, pork or lamb we just call it  “Psito sto fourno” (baked in the oven).

This is all it takes to make these delicious potatoes and serve them as a side dish.   Although it’s over a year that I have made this twist to the Greek  classic dish I still remember how  finger-licking delicious they were, as the potatoes absorb all the juices and flavour.   The pan drippings can be used as they are or you can make an even more delicious sauce, as I did.

Patates Lemonates my way  (The best Greek Lemony Potatoes) , Recipe by Ivy

Preparation time:  30 minutes
Cooking time:  about 1 1/2 – 2 hours
Serves:   10 (or 5 as a main dish)

30 small roasting potatoes (I used Cypriot baby potatoes)
2 tablespoons olive oil

For the dressing

1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp honey
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tbsp Greek oregano
1 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon zest
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cups orange juice

Preheat oven to 180oC / 350oF.

Put all the dressing ingredients in a food processor and purée. The dressing has a light green colour and its consistency should be thick.

Place the potatoes in a baking dish and pour the dressing on top.  Cover the baking dish with aluminium foil and bake until the potatoes are soft (about 1 hour and 30 minutes).  Remove the foil,  turn on the other side, add 2 – 3  tablespoons olive oil and bake until golden.

The recipe for sauce as well as for the Wild Boar, will be posted soon.

Giveaway of the Book

I want to thank all of you who have already placed the picture of my cookbook with a link to my page, on your blog.  For those who may have missed my previous post at the end of the month I will be making a draw of another copy of my cookbook.   All you have to do is right click on the image of the book below and “save as” on your computer. Then upload it to your side bar with a link to my blog or directly to my e-store and leave me a message at this post with your URL.

Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!!

Tags: , , , ,

36 Comments on Patates Lemonates my way (The best baked Greek Lemony Potatoes)

1. Eftychia says:

Mou anoixes tin orexi mou, kai exo mia pina…
    Psito is what we used to eat on Sundays. Delicious recipe Ivy.

2. Priya says:

Yumm, those lemony potatoes looks absolutely fabulous..
    My recent post Salad Shirazi – Persian-Iranian Cucumber &amp Tomato Salad

They look fantastic! That is one of my favorite ways of baking potatoes.

4. Katerina says:

Super special potatoes. I love patates lemonates and is a staple in our family.

5. Tiffany says:

I love potatoes and lemon so I will definitely be trying this recipe, sounds and looks wonderful!

6. Lemony potatoes sound really great! Is Greek oregano different from the oregano used in the pizza?

7. 5starfoodie says:

Such yummy potatoes, I love the flavors with citrus, excellent!

8. I always love roasted potatoes, and the sauce with citrus and herbs sounds fantastic with them!

9. Nadji says:

J'adore les pommes de terre. Alors, ta recette me plait beaucoup.
    je la note.
    A très bientôt.

10. bananawonder says:

I bet your potatoes are amazing and I wish I could taste Cypriot potatoes! I almost never eat potatoes – only when they are in a pisto and like yours :)

11. Cara says:

mmm… one of the first Greek foods I ever loved, long before I visited Greece!
    My recent post Cheddar Cornbread Waffle Benny

12. tigerfish says:

Lemony potatoes? Sounds good. The acid in the lemon must be complementing the potatoes really well.

13. Soma says:

I can just the lovely flavors here. Would pair so well with a grilled meat dish.
    My recent post Chicken Biryani

14. elly says:

That dressing sounds amazing, Ivy! What a great alternative to the standard (but amazing!) patates fournou.

15. Maria says:

Lovely patates fournou Ivy! They look spectacular. I could easily eat the potatoes and not the meat!
    My recent post Cinnamon Buns

16. Simona says:

I bake potatoes only rarely, though I know that they go well with, for example, roasted meat. I like the ingredients in the dressing of your recipe, and I am curious about the flavor the juices impart to the potatoes.
    My recent post cassoulet vegetariana

Oooh! Mourlia! Patates sto fourno are the best…I just think you made them better with this dressing! Now all we need is some katsikaki!
    My recent post Glimpses of New York

Lemon potatoes sound like a wonderful treat – I cooked lemon potatoes once out of Jamie Oliver's Cook, but I can't remember if it was similar or not.
    My recent post FFwD – Gnocchi la Parisienne

19. pierre says:

potatoes and lemon jsut great together Tx Ivy !!pierre

20. piroulie says:

J'aime beaucoup les pommes de terre et cette recette facile et originale me tente beaucoup
    Je la garde en favoris
    bonne soirée

Visiting from Rosa's and so happy I stopped by. What a delicious recipe that I will have to try! Thank you.
    My recent post Yesterday- Today and Tomorrow

22. Jamie says:

I have been roasting potatoes more and more often as winter advances but I absolutely must bake them this way next! Wow the flavors (more than just lemon!) are fabulous! This flavorful side dish would really be perfect with plain grilled meat. Delicious!

23. Juliana says:

Lemony potatoes…I sure would like to try these since I love everything that contains lemon…what a lovely side dish this potato makes :-)

24. tasteofbeirut says:

I wanted to say that I got your book and I find it fantastic! I am getting reading to post a review on it today or tomorrow.
    I would post your book like you suggested but I am technologically inept and rely on my son to do stuff for me; so next time he is around I will ask him! :)
    My recent post Makaroons

25. Ivy these potatoes are my favorite. Lemonates patates are simply the best. You make them just like I do!
    My recent post Say cheese

26. […] my previous post I wrote about the side dish of the best baked Greek Lemony Potatoes I made to accompany this […]

27. Tiffany says:

I do not heat meat, but these potatoes would be great all by themselves!

28. These lemon potatoes sound so good!

29. alison says:

these potatoes are so flavored!
    alison recently posted..SUSHI ROLLSMy Profile

30. Georgia says:

Υπέροχα! Η σάλτσα γίνεται σαν μια καραμέλα, τόσο νόστιμες οι πατάτες! ευχαριστώ πολύ για τη συνταγή! Θα μοιράσω το λινκ στο σας στο μπλογκ μου, είστε εντάξει;
    Georgia recently posted..It’s Time for BreadMy Profile

31. […] Λεμονάτες (Patates Lemonates or Lemony Potatoes) adapted just a tiny bit from kopiaste.org are simply super! Ivy, the author of the recipe, has made her own take at the traditional baked […]