A few months ago when I was going to make a savory recipe I noticed that one of the ingredients required was apple sauce. I’ve never seen apple sauce sold in Greece so after a google search and reading a few recipes, I realized that apple sauce is similar to what we call Apple Jam. I have made many kinds of jams in my life and years ago I used to make apple turnovers with puréed apples, so I had no problem making it my way. I used whatever apples I had at home, I think they are called golden delicious and starking but I think that the best one is with granny smith apples, so you can use whatever apples you have or like best. I love using fragrant geranium leaves to flavour jams or spoon sweets but if you don’t have any it’s not absolutely necessary. When making it with granny smith apples, I thinly peeled a whole lemon and boiled it with the sauce. I then pureed it together with the fragrant geranium and the lemon peel and that added an amazing taste to the sauce. How to make apple sauce, Recipe by Ivy Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 25 minutes Makes: about 3 cups Ingredients:
- 5 apples, preferable granny smith
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1/3 cup Greek honey
- 2 cups water
- all the lemon peel from one lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 2 – 3 fragrant geranium leaves
- Put the water and lemon juice in a saucepan. Peel and core the apples and cut them into small pieces. Put them immediately in the water so that they will not brown.
- Add the sugar, lemon peel, cinnamon, fragrant geranium and honey.
- Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer, stirring for about 20 – 30 minutes until the apples are soft.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and using a food prcessor purée the apples.
- When they have cooled store in clear sterilized jars.
Note: Some apples contain more pectin than others especially if they are green and under ripe. If your apples are over ripe, in order to make a thick jam you may need to add 1 sachet (25 grams) of Gelfix. (which contains pectin).
I had leftover apple sauce, so one day I made some turnovers. During lent or if you are vegan, you can substitute butter with margarine. Also, instead of the egg + milk glaze, you can brush them with orange juice or just skip the glaze entirely. The glaze is only to give them a nice colour.
In the picture above and in the collage I have some pictures of some I made a couple of years ago and which I used two circles of dough. I added a tablespoon of apple sauce on one, I wet the dough with the egg white (or water) and used the second one to cover the other and then pressed all around with a fork. Mini Apple pies with shortcrust pastry
For the short crust pastry:
- 500 grams all purpose flour
- 250 grams butter (or margarine during fasting)
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 – 4 tbsp ice cold water
For the filling:
- 1 egg yolk + 2 tbsp of milk – beaten
- Icing sugar and cinnamon for sprinkling on top
- Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl.
- Add the sugar and mix.
- Using a box grater grate the the chilled butter or cut it into small pieces and add to the flour.
- Use a fork or spoon to mash the ingredients together, being careful not to let the butter melt into the flour. Then use your fingertips and rub the fat into the flour until a breadcrumb like mixture is obtained.
- Sprinkle the water, 1 tbsp at a time, evenly over the flour and fat mixture.
- As the mixture starts to come together, finish off by using your hands, until all the mixture has been incorporated and a round ball of dough has been formed.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for 15 – 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, allow to warm up and knead gently on a lightly floured clean surface.
- Divide the pastry into four pieces and roll each piece into a round 20-25cm/8-10 in across or to desired thickness.
- Cut rounds using a small plate as your guide or use a cookie cutter.
- Place one tbsp or tsp (depending on the size) on each pastry circle and fill the centre.
- Beat the egg white with a fork and moisten the edges of the pastry with the egg (or brush with water).
- Fold the turnover to enclose the apple sauce (or add a second circle on top and press with a fork). Place on parchment paper and brush the tops with milk or egg wash (or orange juice).
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and cinnamon (optional) on top.
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!!