Patsavouropita is a traditional Greek Tyropita (cheese pie) but before giving the recipe let me explain what it means because I know it’s all Greek to you.
Patsavoura means something which is not neatly stacked in an orderly way and also a rug used to mop up dirt and metaphorically it is a demeanor for an ugly woman but also for a woman of low ethics.
This means that this tyropita, which is made with store bought phyllo, requires no special skills or care and attention for its preparation, it is easy to make plus it tastes terrific.
Feta is the main ingredient but you can add any other cheese you like. I added some dried mint in mine because I love to pair mint with halloumi and feta but if you like you can add some other fresh herbs like spring onions, dill, parsley, thyme, oregano, fennel fronds etc.
Ι used a round baking tin but you can also use a square or rectangle one. Just stack each phyllo with cheese next to each other until you fill the baking tin.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 1 tin 35 cm / 14 inches diametre
1 packet (15 phyllo sheets – 400 grams)
- 350 grams crumbled feta
- 250 grams halloumi or graviera, grated
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup milk
1 tbsp dried mint or 4 – 5 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
- Freshly grated black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180ο C / 350o F.
- Mix the two cheeses together with mint.
- Brush a baking tin with olive oil.
- On your working surface open the phyllo and brush it lightly with olive oil.
- Sprinkle cheese to cover the entire surface.
- Fold the phyllo in the middle from its narrow part and then fold it once again.
- Place it in the baking tin, starting from the sides of the baking tin, forming a circle and keep adding going towards the centre.
- When done, brush the surface with olive oil.
- Beat the eggs with a fork and mix in the milk, salt and pepper.
- Using a spoon, wet all the phyllos.
- Bake for about 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Here is another approach to this Tyropita, which is even easier:
Easy Tyropita with shredded phyllo
1/2 packet phyllo choriatiko (village type) but you can also use the regular one
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups grated cheese (I used feta, halloumi and graviera)
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Make the phyllo into a roll and cut it into 1 cm pieces. Fluff it up.
- Put the shredded phyllo in a baking tin or pyrex and add the grated cheese. Mix them well.
- Whisk the eggs with milk, salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture over the shredded phyllo. Cut butter into small pieces and scatter in on top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Let it rest for 15 minutes so as to absorb the milk.
- Bake in a preheated oven to 180C / 350F for about half an hour or until golden on top.
Other relevant recipes:
Tyropita me Maratho (with fennel)
Tyropita with Kourou Phyllo
Badjina, the naked pie
Tiganopsomo (fried Cheese Bread)
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!