Summer is officially over, although yesterday there were people still swimming at Assini Beach. Today it is dull, cloudy and it rained for a few minutes in the morning. The temperature has dropped so we will be staying more hours at home, which means that now I have more time for some work to be done, which I have postponed for a long time.
It’s almost two years next month since I published my cookbook and although my intention was to have it published in Greek as well, I have always postponed it. After many requests from my Greek readers, I’ve now decided to work on my book. I will not stop blogging although it may be less frequent and with recipes which do not require much of my time, like the following recipe which we had today for lunch.
It is a very simple recipe, easy and cheap but it is full of flavour. Last week tomatoes were very cheap, so I made a lot of Marinara sauce, which I store in 1 cup plastic cups in the deep freezer and use them whenever I need some and I always have roasted garlic in my refrigerator, so it takes less than 15 minutes to prepare this dish.
Today I wanted to use some mushrooms I had in the refrigerator, so I made this dish with roasted garlic and Marinara Sauce. The cilantro added in the end, adds another wonderful flavour but if you are one of those people who hate cilantro, you can substitute it with parsley.
Penne with Mushrooms, Roasted Garlic, Cilantro and Marinara Sauce, recipe by Ivy
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves: 3 – 4
- 250 grams, penne rigate
- 1 cup homemade Marinara Sauce (tomato sauce)
- 200 grams small whole button mushrooms
- 3 tbsp garlicky olive oil
- 2 cloves roasted garlic
- Salt and freshly grated black pepper
- ½ cup cilantro (fresh coriander), finely chopped
- Heat water, add salt and boil pasta for about ten minutes or according to package instructions.
- Heat the olive oil taken from the roasted garlic together with roasted garlic and crush them with a spoon. Add the mushrooms, season them with salt and pepper and sauté on both sides for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Strain pasta and warm marinara sauce in the same pot.
- Add the pasta and mushrooms and mix.
- Cook for 1 more minute, remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro.
- Serve with more cilantro and freshly grated black pepper on top.
I am linking this recipe to the last edition of Presto Pasta Nights, created by Ruth, of Once Upon a Feast and hosted by Simona, of Briciole. I am really very sorry that this very successful event is being terminated.
Other relevant recipes:
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,