Every year the economic situation is getting worse , especially here in Greece. We are still grateful to have food on our plates but things are expected to get worse during the new year, as more austerity measures have already been announced.
Every year I put a list of holiday food for my readers to select what they would like to cook. Some of the recipes are cheap and others are not, so here are a few ideas I intend to follow:
- Each year we used to buy a fresh turkey, which is very expensive. This year, we will be buying a frozen turkey, to keep the tradition going. It is much cheaper and equally delicious. Do not forget to brine the turkey, as suggested in my recipe. In order to cook a frozen turkey, all we have to do is to thaw it slowly in the refrigerator for at least 2 days and then brine it for at least 12 hours.
- Wild boar is also very expensive. The recipes using wild boar may also be cooked with pork instead, which is much cheaper.
- The chicken is also very cheap so wherever turkey fillet is used, it may be substituted with chicken fillet.
- Fresh seafood like shrimps, crabs etc are very expensive. They may be substituted with frozen seafood.
- Depending on your budget instead of buying meat from your butcher, try frozen meat which is equally fresh and good .
- Cook with seasonal, local ingredients, as they are much cheaper.
You will also find some ideas on how to make good use of your leftovers (if any). Nothing must be wasted!
The tips given above are always referring to the Greek living standards. In some other countries some of the food mentioned above may be much cheaper.
Deconstructed and Healthier Piroskis
Stuffed Cucumbers with Fetatziki
Garides Saganaki me Masticha (Shrimps Saganaki with Mastic Liqueur)
Dakos Savoury Greek Cheesecake
Greek Lemony Roasted Potatoes
Video How to Roll out Phyllo and make Kotopita (chicken pie)
Salad Bar (a post with many recipes)
Uses for our Leftovers:
Leftover Turkey Filling:
Don’t forget to leave a comment in my previous post if you would like to enter for Two Giveaways. One is a copy of both volumes of My Cookbook Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste! and the other giveaway is a Software for My Memories Suite.
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,