A simple and very easy chicken roast recipe, different than the usual roast recipe we usually make in Greece. The only thing you have to do is wash the chicken and then crush garlic and rosemary and mix it with olive oil, salt and pepper and then rub the chkicken under the skin. When cooked, the chicken becomes so juicy and flavourful and because a slit is made in the baby potatoes, all the wonderful flavours of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and rosemary are absorbed by the potatoes, making them irresistible.
With the drippings I made a mustard gravy which I served separately over the meat and potatoes.
It usually takes a long time to post some of my recipes because I don’t have much time lately, but since I have another similar recipe with Chicken cooked in the skillet, with Rosemary, Garlic and Prunes, I have also posted it in my other blog.
Try any one you like but I am sure you will love both of them.
Chicken with Garlic and Rosemary, recipe by Ivy
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: about 1 hour and 30 minutes
- 1 roasting chicken (I used corn fed, about 2 kilos)
- 3 sprigs rosemary, plus 1 sprig for potatoes
3 cloves roasted garlic, together with 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 cups water
- 2 kilos French baby potatoes, (plus more salt and freshly grated black pepper and rosemary for potatoes)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 cup drippings from the roast
Preheat oven to 180o C / 350°F.
- Remove the leaves of the rosemary in a food processor, add garlic together with olive oil from the roasted garlic, peppercorns and salt and mix until all the ingredients are crushed. (If you do not want to use a food processory you can use a pestle and mortar or finely cut the rosemary and mash the roasted garlic and mix with the other ingredients).
- Loosen skin from breasts and drumsticks and spread rosemary mixture evenly under the skin.
- Place chicken in the pan, breast side down.
- Wash potatoes thoroughly and make a slit in the centre. Season chicken as well as potatoes with additional salt, black pepper and rosemary.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice and water.
- Roast, chicken and potatoes until golden on one side and turn over. Cook until golden on other side as well.
- Remove chicken and potatoes from the baking tin and discard any fat from the drippings.
In a small pot heat the olive oil and with a balloon whisk mix in the flour to make a roux. Dissolve the mustard in the drippings. Add the drippings and mustard and mix until the sauce thickens. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Serve with salad and a simple dip of yoghurt mixed with mustard.
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,