Today is my second son’s Birthday. Happy Birthday Kyriacos! Unfortunately I couldn’t make him a birthday cake as he is in Athens but his sister made one.
Yesterday I invited my neighbours to come over for a cup of coffee and as most people are fasting for the Easter period, I made this vegan cake. The cake is based on another carrot cake I made five years ago but this time I made a lot of changes. When I decided to make this cake yesterday morning, I checked in the closets to see what ingredients were leftover before leaving to Athens, so I had to adjust it with whatever was available.
To begin with, I did not have the time to weigh exact quantities used but most of it is accurate. The only ingredient which is not accurate is the amount of flour used. I added enough so that I had a batter with the right consistency of a cake batter. If you are not experienced making cakes, I cannot guarantee about its success but I believe that by 95% it will be fine but the risk is yours. Start with 650 grams flour and add more, if necessary.
The baking time differs a lot from the previous recipe. My new oven is fan forced and I was surprised to see that it was ready in 35 minutes, instead of 1 hour which was the case in my older recipe.
The cake was moist and delicious. If you like tahini the chocolate – tahini glaze on top was amazing but if you don’t like it you can still add the one I made in the older recipe.
Nistisimo Cake Karotou me Glaso Sokolatas kai Tahini (Vegan Carrot Cake with Chocolate (Lenten), recipe by Ivy
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 35 minutes
- 650 (+ 50) grams of all purpose flour
- 300 grams of grated carrots
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- Zest of an orange
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 shot (about 30 ml) orange liqueur or other liqueur or brandy
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon of ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 100 grams roasted walnuts
- 50 grams raisins
- 2 tbsp chocolate couverture chips
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon of margarine
- 1 tsp orange zest
- A pinch of coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp tahini
- Preheat oven to 170οC / 338οF (fan forced) and place rack in the middle of the oven.
- Beat sugar with olive oil and margarine on full speed for 5 minutes.
- Lower speed and add orange juice, liqueur, vanilla, vinegar and the grated carrot.
- Sieve flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa, cinnamon and cloves and mix in salt, orange zest, raisins and walnuts.
- Add all other dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Place in a 26 cm baking tin lined with parchment paper.
- Bake until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove to a rack.
- In a doubl boiler add the orange juice and when warm add the cocoa powder and mix. Add zest and margarine and when it melts add the icing sugar, salt, pepper and mix until the ingredients are incorporated. Add tahini and mix to combine.
- While cake is still warm, remove it from the baking tin and gradually pour the glazing on top and let it drip without spreading it.
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,