I recently posted a Cypriot recipe for Kaikanas, as I remember it from my mother.
Yesterday, I wanted to make a quick snack for brunch, a mezedaki as we call it in Greece, and with this recipe in my mind, with a few zucchini (courgette) blossoms and some courgettes, I made this savoury kaikanas.
This was so good and is perfect for breakfast, brunch or even a light dinner.
Kaikanas with Zucchini and Feta, recipe by Ivy
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes: an appetizer for 2
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small zucchini, cut into thin slices
- 4-5 courgette flowers
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- A pinch of oregano
- 100 grams crumbled feta
- Wash and drain the zucchini and their blossoms. (See here how to clean them).
- In a non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil and fry the zucchinis. Turn them over and add the zucchini flowers and onion. Fry until the onion softens. (If necessary, add another tablespoon of olive oil).
- Prepare the batter. Pour over the courgettes and swirl the pan to spread it evenly.
- Lift the pan over the heat and tilt the pan so as not to burn the pancake.
- Before setting, crumble the feta on and top. Once it starts to set let the pancake slide into a plate.
- Invert it back in the pan and cook for a couple of minutes, until the pancake become golden on the other side as well.
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,