Last night my children came to visit us. I made this lovely cherry cake but having to do so many other things, I forgot to take more pictures of the cake.
I’ve made cherry cakes before but the cherries always seem to sink inside when baked. This time I reserved some cherries which I added them after the cake was already baking.
The cake was delicious and disappeared in no time! I hope to add more photos when I make it again:)
Cherry cake, recipe by Ivy
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: about 1 hour
- 500 grams, pitted cherries
- 150 grams butter
- 1 cup raw brown cane sugar
- 3 eggs
- 100 ml milk
- 270 grams all purpose flour
- 21 grams (3 tbsp) corn flour
- 75 grams almonds
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- Pit the cherries and set aside.
Preheat oven to 180o C / 350o F.
- Cream the butter and sugar together at full speed.
- Add the eggs, one at a time until incorporated.
- Add the milk and vanilla. The mixture may look liked curdled but don’t worry.
- Stop the mixer, scrape the sides of bowl and continue until the batter becomes light and fluffy
- In the meantime, sift flour, corn flour and baking powder and mix in powdered almonds, orange zest and salt, until well combined.
- Lower mixer speed to minimum and add the dry ingredients gradually, until incorporated.
- Line a spring form loaf pan (30 x 10 cm / 12 x 4 inches) with parchment paper and add 12 pitted cherries. Reserve 12 more to use on top.
- Stop the mixer, add the remaining cherries and mix with a spatula.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with an offset spatula or back of a spoon.
- Fifteen minutes after beginning baking the cake, quickly open the oven and add the reserved cherries on top, pressing them gently inside. Continue baking for about 45 more minutes or until a skewer or knife inserted in the cake comes out clean.
Vegan Cherry Olive Oil Cake
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,