When it comes to a busy day I always resort to making a pasta dish which can be made in minimum time and still have a delicious meal.
It was not a planned meal so I used the ingredients I had at hand. I always have grated cheese in the deep freezer and had a low fat cream and when I saw the Greek yoghurt in the fridge I decided to go for it.
The outcome was amazing. A light meal with so much flavour. The bacon was just enough to give its flavour and the Greek yoghurt combined with the cheeses gave a slightly sour but delicious cream.
The chevril also added a wonderful aroma to the dish.
I had some leftover spanakopita from the previous day which matched perfectly with our meal.
Four cheese, Carbonara with Bacon and Greek Yoghurt
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 500 grams penne rigate
- 1 tbsp salt
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200 grams cheese, mozzarella, kerrygold light, milner light, gouda
- 1 large egg
- 100 grams Greek yoghurt
- 200 ml light cream
- 50 ml light milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup pasta water
- Finely chopped myronia (chervil) or parsley (optional)
- Cook pasta in salted hot water, al dente, according to package instructions, about 15 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil and sauté the bacon on both sides until crispy and set aside.
- Beat the egg and add the yoghurt, cream, cheeses, salt and pepper and mix. If the cream is too thick, dilute it to a runny consistency with some milk.
- Finally add the cheese mixture and mix until the cheeses melt and the sauce begins to thicken.
- Serve with more freshly grated black pepper and some myronia or parsley on top.
You can find many more Greek recipes in my cookbook “More Than A Greek Salad”, and “Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!” both available on all Amazon stores.
Other relevant recipes:
How to make your own Greek Yoghourt
Greek Strawberry Cheesecake with Yoghurt
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,