When Patrick Keeley contacted me by e-mail to be the featured chef of their T.V. show «All the best» with Zita Keeley, I was really excited. The cruise ship they partnered with, the «NOORDAM» would be visiting Nafplion in a couple of weeks and they would have six hours, for me to cook and show them around on a culinary tour around Nafplion.
I started looking for interesting places to show them around. Some I already knew and the I google searched to find more. I visited all the places I had chosen and spoke with the managers, to get their permission for the filming. My husband and I walked accross the places we chose, to see how long it would take to visit each place. However, some of these places were finally marked out as the six hours became five.
As my house is 7 km from Nafplion and some precious time would be lost to and from my house, I asked a couple of restaurants if I could cook there and «Kipos» restaurant was kind enough to provide a gas stove for me to cook outside. You can read more about the tour and the places we visited here.
I was a little bit nervous to appear on T.V. but everybody was so friendly that I soon forgot all about the camera. Most of the preparation was done at home. I had all the ingredients in raw form, then I had all the ingredients again, washed and cut. The tomato was well drained. Then I had the tomato cooked, which only needed heating and the eggs cooked.
Even with all that preparation, we still spent about two hours at the retaurant because after cooking we sat down to eat and chat.
We visited the farmers” market where we bought some of the ingredients needed for the recipe.
You can find the traditional recipe of Kagianas in a link below. However, I made it adding more ingredients such as sauteing an onion, garlic and bell peppers. I made it hot by adding some boukovo, which is hot Greek chili flakes. I added half a teaspoon which makes it mildly hot but if you prefer it really hot, just add some more. My husband was there helping me with whatever I needed, he drove us to the distillery and took a lot of photos and videos for me.
I am posting a small part of the cooking procedure. I hope that one day we can see the whole episode
While filming, Zita asked me if we could put a lid on top in order to cook the eggs. I had never thought about it before but I knew that they would cook with the steam which would be created.
I tried it at home the next day with the leftover sauce and they came out wonderful!
Hot Kagianas with Bell Peppers, Feta and Poached Eggs
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Serves: 2 (as a main dish)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- ¼ of 3 different kinds of bell peppers (red, yellow, orange)
- 5 tomatoes (about 1 kilo), peeled and cubed
- 1/2 tsp (or more) boukovo (Greek chili flakes)
- Salt (not too much as we added salt on the tomatoes and feta is also salty)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup feta (about 80 grams)
- Score tomatoes with an X and put them in boiling water for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Drain and peel tomatoes.
- Cut them into cubes and remove seeds (optional). Put them in a colander, sprinkle with salt and let it drain for five minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet or non-stick pan and sauté the onion until translucent. Add the garlic and mix for a few seconds.
- Add the bell peppers and sauté until soft.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Add boukovo, oregano and pepper. Keep mixing until all juices have evaporated and the mixture becomes a dense sauce.
- At this point, when it cools, it can be kept in the fridge for a day or freezed for a long time. (Just thaw, heat and add the eggs).
- Add the eggs to the tomato mixture. Add some sauce on the egg whites until they are cooked.
- Add some pepper on the yolks.
- Crumble feta on tomato sauce and cook for a few minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread to sop up every bit of the delicious sauce.
Or put a lid on top, turn the heat down to low (or if cooking on a ceramic stove top, turn off the heat), cover with the lid and wait until the eggs are cooked with the steam, about five minutes.
You can find many more Greek recipes in my cookbook «More Than A Greek Salad», and «Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!» both available on all Amazon stores.
Other relevant recipes:
Kagianas or Strapatsada
Kagianas with Kafkalithres and Pesto
Kagianas with Syglino Lakonias
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,