Whether you are making Sweet or Savoury fillings for your vols au vent, these elegant vols au vent will surely impress your guests!
Vols au Vent are incredibly versatile, allowing you to experiment with a variety of sweet or savoury fillings.
Here are some creative ideas to inspire your culinary adventures:
- Mushroom and Thyme Cream: Sautéed mushrooms in butter with fresh thyme, mixed with a creamy béchamel sauce.
- Spinach and Feta: Sautéed spinach with onion and garlic, combined with crumbled feta cheese for a delightful Greek twist.
- Chicken and Tarragon: Shredded cooked chicken mixed with a tangy tarragon-infused cream sauce.
- Smoked Salmon and Creme Fraiche: A classic combination of smoked salmon, creme fraiche, and a touch of lemon for brightness.
- Sun-Dried Tomato and Goat Cheese: Chopped sun-dried tomatoes mixed with creamy goat cheese, creating a burst of flavours.
- Brie and Cranberry: Creamy Brie cheese paired with a tangy cranberry compote for a sweet and savory balance.
- Sausage and Caramelized Onion: Cooked sausage crumbles combined with sweet caramelized onions for a hearty filling.
- Caprese: Diced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil drizzled with balsamic glaze for a taste of Italy.
- Vanilla Custard and Berries: Vanilla custard topped with a mix of fresh berries, creating a light and fruity filling.
- Lemon Curd and Blueberries: Tangy lemon curd paired with juicy blueberries for a zesty and sweet combination.
- Chocolate Mousse and Raspberry: Silky chocolate mousse layered with fresh raspberries for a decadent treat.
- Peach and Mascarpone: Sliced fresh peaches with creamy mascarpone cheese, perfect for a summer-inspired filling.
- Apple Cinnamon Compote: Sauteed apples with cinnamon, brown sugar, and a touch of nutmeg for a comforting flavour.
- Strawberries and Pastry Cream or whipped cream: Sliced strawberries on top of pastry cream or whipped cream, offering a simple yet delightful sweetness.
- Honey and Goat Cheese: Goat cheese drizzled with honey, creating an elegant and slightly tangy dessert option.
- Pumpkin Spice Whipped Cream: Whipped cream infused with pumpkin spice, ideal for autumn gatherings.
Feel free to mix and match these ideas, or get creative with your own combinations. Whether you’re hosting a party or simply treating yourself or your family, Vols au Vent can be customized to suit a wide range of tastes.
My Savoury Vols au Vent
These delicate puff pastry shells filled with a luxurious blend of smoked salmon, cream cheese, creamy Greek yogurt, and a medley of fresh herbs are a perfect way to elevate any gathering.
The best part? They come together in just 10 minutes (provided we have the cases ready), making them a hassle-free choice for both novice and seasoned chefs alike.
The recipe card has a slightly different filling.
When I made them recently, I only wanted to make savoury vols au vent, so I left out the yoghurt and the heavy cream.
This filling is so good. If you have any leftover, you can use it as a spread or dip.
Try it in sandwiches, on bruschetta, on pita chips, on Crackers, (on Krispies or ladokouloura, if you are in Greece), etc. I just make more to have some leftover!
Blogging is wonderful and you get to know new people with different cultures, you cook their food and learn so much from them. I have learnt so much since I’ve started blogging and met some amazing people and you my friends are among them. As time passes we get closer and these friends are just like our real friends who care about us and we care about them.
As I said in my previous post, making vols au vent is so easy. All you need is ready made puff pastry. You thaw it and then with a cookie cutter you make two circles. In one of them you make a hole in the centre using a smaller cookie cutter and join the two together. When you bake them, they puff and they become hollow so that you have them ready to fill with a sweet or savory filling.
Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Filling
Preparation time: 15 minutes for the vols au vent and 10 minutes for the filling
- 200 grams smoked salmon fillet
- 2 spring onions, white part only
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 100 gr strained greek yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons of parsley
- 2 tablespoons of dill
- 125 grams heavy cream
- 150 grams Philadelphia cream cheese
- In a food processor add the onions, olive oil and lemon juice and process until the onion becomes like cream. Add more olive oil if needed.
- Beat the heavy cream with a hand mixer until it thickens and then add the cream cheese and yoghurt and mix again.
- Flake the smoked salmon with a fork and add all the remaining ingredients and mix. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Refrigerate mixture until ready to use.
- When the vols au vent have cooled, fill them in just before serving.
Sweet Vols au Vent
A light puff pastry shell filled with sweet cream cheese, whipped cream and fresh strawberries or other fruit, is the perfect way to end a meal any time.
My Mini Cheesecake Vols au vent
When making the above filling, when the whipping cream, cream cheese and yoghurt was ready, (before adding the seasoning) I removed half of the mixture in another bowl, added 4 teaspoons of icing sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence and mixed them together.
I used this filling to make some mini cheesecakes.
I added some raspberry jam on top on and some fresh strawberries on others. Voila…
- 115 gr. smoked salmon fillet
- 2 spring onions, white part only
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 tbsp dill
- 200 grams Philadelphia cream cheese
- A small sprig of dill or parsley or a small piece of red roasted sweet pepper
- In a food processor add the spring onions, cut in smaller pieces, the olive oil and lemon juice and process until the onion becomes like cream
- Add the salmon and the cream cheese and again
- Season with salt, pepper and paprika and mix.
- Add the dill and parsley and mix with a spoon.
- Garnish with a small sprig of fresh dill, parsley or a small piece of roasted red pepper.
- Keep the spread covered in the fridge, upto three days.
To make the sweet vols au vent, I added more cream cheese and heavy cream to the above mixture. When these were whipped, I removed some of the cream and added some vanilla and icing sugar.
Nutrition InformationYield 25 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 44Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 9mgSodium 164mgCarbohydrates 1gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 1g
"These values are automatically calculated and offered for guidance only. Their accuracy is not guaranteed."
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,