This Christmas Chocolate Wafer Coconut Roulade is made with a biscuit base crust and is filled with pastry cream, topped with chocolate ganache.
The other night when I was making the Almond Paste for the Christmas cake, I had two egg yolks which I wanted to use.
I decided that the best way to use them was to make a custard cream.
How I made the Chocolate Wafer roulade
I made the base of this dessert with wafer biscuits, almonds and coconut, which I bound together with a buttercream, flavoured with Espresso liqueur.
In order to make the roulade you will have to use cling film to shape it and then put it in a loaf tin in order to set.
The following day I removed the cling film and covered it with chocolate ganache and sprinkled some coconut on top.
The flowers on top are edible and came all the way from Cyprus.
These were intended for my Christmas Cake decoration but they were more than I needed for the Cake, which I decorated with some of the other edible decorations.
Do you like the tablecloth in the above picture?
I embroided this tablecloth and also made the lace around it 25 years ago when I was pregnant to my second son and was confined to bed all day, as I had some problems with the pregnancy.
I didn’t like it and never used it before but today when I was taking out my other Christmas tablecloths I saw it and I realized that it would be perfect for Christmas.
You can find many Greek recipes in my cookbooks «More Than A Greek Salad», and«Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!» both available on all Amazon stores. Read more here.
For the crust:
- 3 Amaretti Wafers x 70 grams (2.5 oz) each
- 3 Chocolate Wafer x 50 grams (1.75 oz) each
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup almonds
- 30 grams butter
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 shot espresso cherry liqueur (or other liqueur)
Pastry Cream (custard):
- 2 egg yolks
- 40 grams corn flour (starch)
- 60 grams sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 150 grams butter
- 5 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 100 grams couverture chocolate
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Prepare the pastry cream, as it will need some time to cool.
- Heat the milk in a small pot.
- In another pot, add the yolks, cornstarch and sugar and whisk If you cannot mix it easily, add a tablespoon of cold milk and mix it Add the hot milk whisking continuously.
- Put it on the heat and mix until the cream sets Add the vanilla essence, mix and set aside to cool.
- Prepare the base: In a food processor, add the wafers, a few at a time and powder Empty them in a big bowl.
- Do the same with the almonds but do not powder them completely Add to the bowl Add the coconut and set aside.
- Prepare the Buttercream Add the butter, sugar and vanilla in the mixer bowl and whisk until white and fluffy Stop the mixer and scrape down the butter a few times, if necessary When the custard cream has cooled start adding it to the buttercream until it is incorporated Mix in the coconut and set aside.
- Prepare the binding cream: In the same pot where the custard was, add one egg, 30 grams butter and the heavy cream and whisk on low heat As soon as the butter melts remove from the heat and start mixing in the wafers with all the other ingredients to make a thick paste Finally add the Espresso Cherry liqueur and mix.
- Assembling the dessert: Cut two pieces of cling film about 40 cm each and join them together Spread the crust which should be about 1 cm thick and on top add the filling Lift the edge of the cling film and roll into a roulade, leaving the cling film outside of course Place in a loaf pan and refrigerate until the cream has set, for about two hours.
- In a double boiler, add the couverture chocolate, butter and heavy cream and on low heat mix until the chocolate melts and becomes smooth.
- Remove the cling film from the roulade and spread the chocolate over the roulade.
- Sprinkle some coconut on top
- Decorate with edible candy or spoon sweets (fruit preserves).
- Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 545Total Fat 39gSaturated Fat 20gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 119mgSodium 335mgCarbohydrates 41gFiber 4gSugar 27gProtein 9g
"These values are automatically calculated and offered for guidance only. Their accuracy is not guaranteed."
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi!