In Greece we call this dessert kormos, which means log as it resembles like a tree log. The basic thing for this recipe is the sponge cake. All other ingredients may be adjusted to our taste and preferences. For instance the filling cream may be only whipping cream or only jam or both, or crème patisserie.
The topping may be whipping cream with or without chocolate or chocolate frosting, butter frosting or any other frosting you like. You may decorate it as you like and a few ideas are roasted almonds or chocolate sprinkles, grated chocolate or cherries or anything you can think of.
For this roulade I made a sponge cake and used whipping cream, sour cherry jam and roasted almonds.
Kormos me Amyglada (Almond Roulade)
We will need:
- 1 dose of Sponge cake
- 2 doses of Whipping Cream . You can leave it white or add cocoa or melted chocolate in it.
- Icing sugar
- 75 grams dark or milk chocolate (or 2 tablespoons of cocoa)
- 1 cup blanched, roasted and coarsely ground almonds
- 1/2 cup sour cherries jam.
- While our oven is preheating we roast the almonds.
- Prepare whipping cream and refrigerate.
- As soon as sponge cake is baked, sprinkle with icing sugar all over it and roll it while it is still warm together with the paper. Let is rest to cool down.
- Melt chocolate and allow to cool before mixing it in the whipped cream.
- Unwrap the sponge cake and spread half whipping cream.
- Then spread the jam and roll up again
- Place in a platter and spread remaining whipping cream.
- Sprinkle with roasted almonds and place in refrigerator before serving.s