Kreatopita is a meat pie that can be eaten as a main course with a salad or as a snack. It tastes great when it’s cold and is perfect to take with you at work or at a picnic.
To make the homemade butter phyllo which is similar to puff pastry, see instructions here but if you want to make something with less fuss you may use ready made puff pastry as well.
Kreatopita (Meat pie)
Preparation time: 30 minutes for filling + 1 hour for homemade dough
Baking time: 1 hour
Serves: 8 – 10
- 1 dose of Homemade Puff pastry phyllo with butter
- 3 – 4 tbsp olive oil for brushing phyllo
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 medium size leeks chopped in slices
- 3 spring onions
- ½ kilo ground beef
- 1/2 cup dill, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup graviera cheese
- Prepare the homemade puff pastry phyllo as per instructions.
- Wash leeks and cut them into 1 cm slices and boil them until tender, then strain them. (If leeks are tender, skip the boiling process).
- In a skillet heat the olive oil and sauté the onions, add leeks and then add the ground meat and sauté. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat. Set aside to cool and mic in the dill.
- Roll out the bigger phyllo and place in an oiled 28 cm baking tin. Add the meat mixture and sprinkle with the graviera cheese. Put the second phyllo on top. Take both phyllos which join them by pressing and giving them a nice shape. Score with a sharp knife (superficially) into 8 pieces and brush with olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 180ο C / 350ο F and bake for about one hour until golden on top.
Meat Pie with Puff Pastry
Sometimes, when I don’t have much time, I use store bought puff pastry and make it with the same filling. If you like you can sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.
Both taste great.
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,