Wiener Schnitzel or scallopini, as they are called in Italy or escalopes in France, consist of thinly sliced meat usually veal or pork, although chicken may also be used, dredged in flour and breadcrumbs. The meat slices are tenderized and rendered thinner with a meat mallet. Ask your butcher to prepare the scallops for you. Usually I am not satisfied and I always render then even thinner until about 1 cm thick.
In case we have a lot to fry, in order to keep the other hot, preheat oven at about 120 degrees and keep them hot in the oven. Never cover them because they will turn soft from the steam.
To accompany them I serve them with Mushroom Sauce.
For these who don’t have much time, you can prepare more whenever you can and place them in the deep freezer, covered with cling film.
Defrost before frying.
Preparation time:20 – 30 minutes
Frying time:10 – 15 minutes
- 4 scallops (thin slices) of veal – pork or chicken breast
- Ground pepper
- 2 whole eggs
- Olive oil to deep fry (I avoid butter or other fat)
Mushroom à la Crème:
- 200 grams button mushrooms
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 clove roasted garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- Vegetable or Chicken stock (about 1 cup)
- 100 ml light cream
- 1 tsp butter
- After washing, draining and making them thinner (if necessary), season with salt and pepper.
- Beat eggs, and have the flour and bread crumbs in separate plates ready.
- First of all dip them in the milk and then in the flour.
- Then dip them in the beaten eggs and fnally coat them with bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and it must really be hot, but before smoking, so that the breadcrumbs do not fall off the meat.Do not put too many in the frying pan but leave enough space in between.
- When they have a golden brown colour, turn on the other side and fry about 10 – 15 minutes, totally.
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat the olive oil and sauté mushrooms for a few minutes. Add garlic and rosemary and sauté for a couple more minutes.
- Add the flour and mix to make a roux.
- Add the vegetable or chicken stock and stir.
- Add cream and stir until it starts thickening.
- Add the butter and stir.
Kopiaste and Kali Orexi,