In Greece they say that we make pies out of anything.
Almost anyone who has eaten Greek food is familiar with that wonderful Greek specialty spanakopita, or spinach pie, or the most renowned of Greek sweets, baklava. While one dish is savory and the other sweet, both are recognizable from their baked-up, golden, crispy appearance, a telltale sign that they’re made from phyllo dough.
Your can make your pies with any kind of pastry dough, made from scratch or ready made bought phyllo. Phyllo in Greek, means a sheet (in this case a sheet of pastry) which will be used with the filling of your choice.
Pies can be either “filled”, where a dish is covered by pastry and the filling is placed on top of that, “top-crust,” where the filling is placed in a dish and covered with a pastry top before baking, or “two-crust,” with the filling completely enclosed in the pastry shell. Pies can be a variety of sizes and shapes, ranging from bite-size to ones designed for multiple servings.
This event will start with the savory pies. So what are you waiting for? Pull up your sleeves, take out your rolling pin and make any kind of phyllo pastry and fill it with a savoury filling. Ready-made phyllo, as I said, is welcome, so the only thing you have to do is get creative and make your pies.
Some Guidelines to Follow:
1. Prepare a dish that features a Savory Pie and post it in your blog during September, 2008.
2.Include the logo for this event and please make sure to place a link back to this announcement page so that more people may find out about it.
3. E-mail your entry to eventforpies [at] gmail [dot] com, with Savory Pies as the subject line with the following details.
- Your Name and country of origin
- Blog Name
- Blog URL
- Recipe Name
- Recipe URL
- Photograph of final pie (not bigger than 250 pixels wide)
- A short description of what your pie is about, that will appear in the round-up, will be much appreciated
4. The deadline for this event is midnight (in whichever part of the world you are) of September 30th, 2008. The round-up will be posted a few days later.
5. There is no limit to the number of entries. If you don’t have a blog but wish to participate in this event, send your entries with a picture, your name and recipe to eventforpies [at] gmail [dot] com before the deadline. I will post the recipes with your picture in my blog and include it in the round-up.
Tags: Food events