Cooking for a family of five involves a lot of cooking and baking and it is sometimes difficult to please them all.A winner dish in my family is patates lemonates sto fourno, which is a side dish you can serve both with meat of fish and some people even love it as a main dish with a salad, especially during lent.
In this recipe I have peeled the potatoes but if you wash them well you can leave the skin on.
Patates Lemonates sto fourno (Greek lemony roasted potatoes)
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time:1 hour 30 minutes – 2 hours
- 20 – 25 potatoes baby potatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 cup olive oil
½ cup lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups water
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C / 350 F.
Peel the potatoes and after washing them make a slit in the middle.
Place potatoes in one layer in a shallow roasting pan and sprinkle with salt, pepper, oregano and toss them to do the same on the other side, add the olive oil, the lemon juice and the water in the gaps so that the seasoning is not washed away.
Bake uncovered for about 1 hour until they are goldren brown and turn them once until they are golden and soft.
In between you may add a little bit more water if they are not done.
When they are done the water must be absorbed by the potatoes and remain with just a little olive oil.
Note: Another wonderful way to make these roasted potatoes is first to boil them for about 15 minutes and then put them in a baking tin and cook them as above.
Instead of frying potatoes or roasting them, I make a much healthier version cooked in parchment paper. These potatoes are equally tasty but much healthier and with less calories.
These can be served as a side to dish to any meat dish, burgers, fish etc.
Lemony roasted potatoes, in parchment paper
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Serves: 4 – 5
- 5 medium potatoes (1 potato per person)
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 – 3 tablespoons water
- Peel, wash and cut the potatoes in the middle and then cut each half into three or more wedges, depending on the size of the potatoes, about 2 cm thick.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and oregano. Add the lemon juice, olive oil and water and mix them well.
- Wrap them in parchment paper and then in aluminum foil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C / 350 F for 1 hour.
- Open the parchment paper and continue baking until they have a golden colour.
- Add more water, if necessary.
Other potato recipes you might like:
Baked Potatoes with cheese
Low fat stuffed potatoes
Pommes Lyonnaises or Potatoes Lyonnaises
Potato Salad with mayonnaise
French fries the Greek way