Μy friend Nuria, of Spanish recipes, posted this recipe which I really liked, so a couple of days later I decided to make it.
I have not changed anything to this recipe and I must say it was just as Nuria described it in her post. Best of all were the croquettes and I was sure my children would love them, so I highly recommend them for you to try.
However, since I have not changed anything in Nuria’s recipe I would like to submit one of my own recipes as well, to Srilekha, of Me and My Kitchen, who is hosting a Chicken Event.
Kotopita (Chicken Pie)
For the filling
- 2 chicken breasts, (if you don’t have leftovers) boil, skim and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup of fresh, frozen or tinned corn, boiled for 15 minutes (I used frozen)
- 1 cup of bell peppers, yellow, red, green finely chopped
- 1 cup of variety of grated cheese (regato, kerrygold, gouda, edam, cheddar etc.,) or any combination
1 tea spoonful of chicken seasoning (I use carino)
- finely chopped parsley (about 3 spoonfuls)
For the bechamel sauce (see step by step instructions here)
- 2 cups of warm milk
- 1 spoonful of butter or margarine
- 2 spoonfuls of flour
- a pinch of ground nutmeg
To prepare the filling:
Boil chicken and after cooling cut into small pieces.
- Make the Bechamel sauce using the above ingredients. Combine the chicken with the grated cheese, the corn and pepperoncini.
Add salt, pepper, paprika, chicken seasoning, parsley and mix.
Preheat oven at 180 degrees centigrade and grease a 40 Χ 30 Χ 5 tin and place 1 sheet of the puff pastry.
- Spread the filling evenly and place the second sheet on top and press the edges of the two pastry sheets together firmly.
Carve with sharp knife but not deep and then prick with a fork the top sheet of the pastry too.
- Brush with olive oil and bake the pie for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. Leave aside for 10-15 minutes to cool and serve.
This recipe also goes to the Savory Pies, Food event.