Yesterday it was our Wedding Anniversary (28 years!!!) and we had a little family celebration, so I prepared this for dessert.

Galatopita, which means milk pie, is a very simple, rustic, Greek traditional pudding cake which dates back to antiquity and was made with simple ingredients such as milk, eggs, flour, honey and cinnamon. The milk was from sheep or goats milk and from that milk they also made butter. Spices were imported from their trips to other countries.  Its simplicity  is what makes it so good.

Vanilla flavour is optional and was added much later on. Old measurements are with a drinking glass but don’t worry about measuring it with a glass.  Use a normal glass you drink water in and use the same glass to measure all the other ingredients.

When I decided to make Galatopita, I had some leftover phyllo which I used as a base of this dessert, the same way I make Galaktoboureko but without a top layer.  I did not add too much sugar in the recipe as I added syrup on top.

At the end you will find a more recent recipe without using phyllo or syrup.

Galatopita (with phyllo)

Preparation time: 30 minutes

Baking time: 40 – 45  minutes

Yields: about 20 pieces

• 8 phyllo sheets (optional)
  • 100 grams butter (to brush the phyllo)

• 6 glasses whole milk
  • ½ glass sugar
  • 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
  • 1 3/4 glasses fine semolina
  • 5 extra large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

For the syrup:

• 1 glass sugar
  • 1 ½ glasses water
  • 5 cloves
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1 lemon peel

Preheat oven to 180 C.

Butter a 25 X 30 cm baking pan.  (If you want to add phyllo, start laying your phyllo sheets, each time buttering the sheets.  Each time you add a phyllo place it in the opposite directions, so as to cover all the sides of the pan).

In a large pot, add milk, with 1/2 glass of sugar, semolina, lemon zest and vanilla essence and keep whisking on the heat, until the cream thickens.

Remove from the heat and set aside for a while to drop the temperature (about 5 minutes).

Size of a measuring glass

Quickly whisk in three of the eggs and keep whisking to incorporate them without curdling them.

Pour into prepared pan.  Fold each phyllo, which is outside the tin on top of the cream, brushing with some butter.

Whisk the remaining two eggs with 2 heaped spoonfuls of sugar and pour over the cream.   Make sure that the eggs cover the entire surface, using a brush .

Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes, or until the top  becomes golden-brown.

As soon as you put the pie in the oven prepare the syrup.

Add sugar, water, lemon peel, cloves and cinnamon stick and bring to a boil.Simmer for 5 minutes and remove from heat.When the pie is ready discard lemon peel, cinnamon and cloves and pour the syrup with a spoon, making sure that it will wet the entire surface.  Add it gradually, allowing it to be absorbed and then add more.

You can serve it hot or cold, with some icing sugar and cinnamon on top.

Update:  August, 2015

A great way to use leftover milk which is about to expire, is to make a pudding so this time I decided to make Galatopita with the excess milk.

This time I decided to make it the traditional way and did not use any phyllo or syrup but made a few tweaks of my own.

Galatopita (without phyllo)

Preparation time: 30 minutes

Baking time: 35 – 40 minutes

Yields: about 12 pieces

• 6 cup whole milk
  • 1 cup sugar
  •  3/4 cup fine semolina
  • 5 tbsp corn flour (starch)
  • 6 large eggs
  • 1 tsp grated lemon zest
  • 1 tsp lemon extract
  • A pinch of salt
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • Butter to grease the pan, sugar and cinnamon to sprinkle on it
  • Icing sugar and cinnamon to sprinkle on top

1. Whisk the eggs with half of the sugar with a hand mixer or a balloon whisk for 3 – 4 minutes.
  2. In a small pot, heat half of the milk with the remaining sugar, mixing so that it will dissolve.
  3. In a bigger pot add the remaining cold milk, the whisked eggs, the corn flour, the semolina the salt and lemon zest.  Whisk until incorporated.  Add the hot milk, whisking continuously.  Put on the heat and continue mixing until the cream sets.  Add the butter and lemon essence and mix until the butter is incorporated.
  4. Preheat oven to 180o C.
  5. Grease a 25.5 Χ 17.5 cm pyrex with butter and sprinkle some crystal or brown sugar (about 1 tbsp) and some cinnamon.
  6. Add the cream and with a spatula make it even on top.
  7. Bake for approximately 35 – 45 minutes, or until the top  starts to brown.
  8. Let the cream on a rack to cool so that the cream sets before cutting.
  9. Serve with icing sugar and cinnamon on top.
  10. Any leftover should be refrigerated.

I am submitting this recipe to the Sweet Pies Event I am hosting but as I also love baking, I am submitting this to my friend Ben, of What’s Cooking, for his event I love Baking.

You can find my Greek recipes in my cookbooks «More Than A Greek Salad», and«Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!» both available on all Amazon stores. Read more here.

Other related Recipes:

Greek Baklavas

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

44 Comments on Galatopita

1. Divya Vikram says:

Sounds just divine..And happy wedding Anniversary Ivy!!

2. Thank you Divya for your wishes.

Wow 28 years.
    Happy Anniversary and many more of years of happy marriage.
    I have been comming across lot of new recipes after comming to your blog.

4. Thank you very much Happy Cook. I hope you like the new recipes you see.

Congratulations darling!!!!! Hey I love celebrations and 28 is a fantastic number. Hope that there be many more to come 😀 😀 😀

I just baked my first sweet pie and it will be for you♥. I’ll tell you how it turned out soon 😀

6. Thank you Nuria both for your wishes and for baking a pie for the event. I can’t wait to see see what you’ve made :)

7. sunita says:

Happy anniversary to you and yours, dear Ivy. May you have many, many more.

The pie looks lovely.

8. anudivya says:

28 years! Wow Ivy… Congratulations! Wish you both many more happy years ahead.

9. Thank you very much Sunita, I remember yours’ was a few days ago as well. I wish you the same as well.

Anudivya, thanks very much. The years pass so quickly, I can’t believe that 28 years have passed. I think it is only yesterday that we got married but my son will be 26 next month, so I can’t hide it.

10. Twenty eight years…congratulations to the both of you sis:D Time flies by so quickly and things are still going strong!! This dessert is perfect for the celebration as well as foryour event. I have tried this pie on several occasions including when I was in Athens:D

11. Thanks sis for your wishes. Time does fly quickly, doesn’t it?

Congratulations on your 28 year anniversary Ivy. Galatopita is so delicious and I agree with you that its “plainess” is wat makes it unique.

13. Thank you Peter for your wishes and like most Greek dishes this is also a very simple recipe.

14. Maria says:

Happy Anniversary Ivy! I hope you had a wonderful day yesterday. Your galatopita looks delicious–I’ve never made galatopita but I think I will try very soon.

15. Thanks Maria. Had a lovely time with the family during lunch but I was also working in the afternoon till late in the evening but that was my fault as I had arranged this a very long time ago and did not remember that it was our anniversary.

Ivy, “na zhsetai”, “hgeia” and Happy Anniversary.

The galotopita looks fabulous…best one I’ve seen yet!

17. Candy says:

Congrats on your anniversary! This dessert looks so tasty.

Oh, yummy! That Galatopita looks really good! I really have to make this pie soon as I’ve been meaning to test that recipe since long..

19. 28 years! I couldn’t be happier for you both! I hope you day was beautiful.

20. Celeste says:

Happy anniversary, wishing both of you happiness and many many years to come. This dessert seems delicious.

21. elly says:

Happy anniversary to you and your husband, Ivy! I have only had galakotoboureko but this looks really delicious. I love your glass measurements – that is exactly how my yiayias make everything 😉

22. Abigail says:

Happy Anniversary! We just celebrated 7 years in June so you are our “senpai” (Japanese for someone higher up the ladder than you).

That recipe is making me SO hungry!

23. Psychgrad says:

Happy anniversary Ivy. Wow. 28 years! Congratulations.

24. Tina says:

Hi Ivy, happy anniversary. I wish you many more happy and prosperous years.

Take care. Tina

Yum Ivy! It looks like a huge custard slice to me – and I love those.

PS Happy Anniversary!!

27. Emiline says:

Mmm, I’m quite fond of desserts.

CONGRATS! 28 years is impressive. Your husband should be grateful to have such a nice wife that cooks him lots of yummy food.

28. PG says:

Wow! 28 years! Hearty Congratulations! And my Best Wishes!

The dish looks delicious!
    I’m falling more and more in love with the food of your region. Yummy!
    I’m so happy to have found you. :)
    BTW, I’ll be sening you the details for the reipe I ‘m submitting for World Food Day soon. Thank you!

29. Thank you all for your lovely wishes.

30. Mike says:

Congrats and happy anniversary! This looks like a delicious treat to celebrate

31. Rosie says:

Dear Ivy, Congratulations and my very best on your Anniversary! What a lovely treat to celebrate a great day 😀

Rosie x

32. Maria says:

Dear Ivy

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary!! I hope you had a wonderful day filled with lots of love and happiness.

This milk pie looks so yummy!!!

33. heart n soul says:

Na zisete! I love galatopita and this one looks fab, I wish I had a..few pieces:)

34. Hey guys, thanks a lot for your wishes.

35. Lisa says:

Happy Anniversary Ivy! What a delightful pie to serve to celebrate.

36. Teresa says:

Ivy, what an incredibly delicious pie. I love this. Congratulations on your anniversary. My hubby and I are celebrating our 20th year together this month as well. Thank you for stopping by my site. I always love hearing from you. May you have many more years of love, health and happiness.

37. Dee says:

Happy anniversary Ivy! Here’s to many more :)
    I love custardy pies so this is right up my alley. Thank you so much for the recipe. I want to participate but suddenly my pineapple pie seems like the poor cousin. Sigh. Let me see what else I can come up with instead.

38. Lore says:

Happy anniversary to you and your husband! I’ve never seen something similar to galatopita and I love how semolina it’s used to make the filling (very clever indeed)

39. courtney says:

Happy belated Anniversary my friend. I will enter my sweet apple pie this weekend after my contest.

40. Aparna says:

As you can see I am very late here,Ivy but please accept my hearfelt wishes to you both on your anniversary.
    And your pie looks nlike the perfect dessert to end the day.

41. Thank you everybody for your wishes and thank you Aparna as well. It’s not easy to follow up all these blogs and posts. Sometimes I miss a lot of posts as well due to lack of time, so I think we all understand.

42. A different version of Galatopita from my own, but I am sure it was tasty! Looks great.

43. Woops! I forgot to wish you a (belated) Happy Anniversary!!!