Back in the summer when I was experimenting with gelatin, I made this dessert with watermelon.

The dessert was nice and refreshing but it was not too sweet so if you ever try and make it add a little bit more sugar, say 1/2 a cup. The jello part on top was unintentional and I suppose the watermelon inside was heavier than the mousse so it ended at the bottom of the mold together with some gelatin and juice.

I forgot all about this dessert, so when I read at Heart and Hearth’s blog about the Event the Power of Pink, a Challenge by Jen of the Beantown Baker, where we have to prepare something pink, I immediately knew I wanted to participate and searched my recipes in the “Recipes to Post” file to see if I had anything ready. I have recipes I have made last winter and I have not posted yet.

October being the National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Jen wishes to bring awareness of this life-threatening disease that not only affects the patient, but their families and those around them, as Jen’s mother suffered from breast cancer.

• 12 sheets of gelatin
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 cup of watermelon juice
  • 1 1/2cups of sugar
  • 500 grams of watermelon (without the seeds or rind)
  • 200 grams of Greek strained yoghurt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Place the gelatin sheets in a bowl with a cup of water until they dissolve and then mix in the juice.

When it is ready put it in the mixer and beat it at full speed until it becomes white and fluffy.Add the sugar and continue beating for another five minutes.

Take a few pieces of watermelon at a time and put it in the mixer while it is still on high speed and continue until all the watermelon is crashed. Add the yoghurt and mix.

Place in a bowl and refrigerate for a couple of hours until it sets.

This recipe also goes to Lore, of Culinarty, for her event Original Recipes.

See printable recipe here.

If you like this recipe you might also like:

Vanilla and Coconut Panacotta

Orange meringue dream

Creamy Jelly Dessert

Mastic Gum Yoghurt Dessert

Tags: , ,

27 Comments on Watermelon Mousse

1. RecipeGirl says:

So, So cute! Great job with that. It sounds so refreshing too :)

2. pixen says:

oh myyyyyy, I love watermelon!!! I can eat the whole watermelon too 😀 Have you eaten the yellow watermelon? In my country, we have seedless as well and the rinds are use in clear soups, pickled or stir-fry as vegetable. I bet it’s delicious sweet with a tang. Wonderful combination!

That’s such a pretty mousse! I bet it tastes delightful!

4. Soma says:

This looks awesome, and such a refreshing summer dessert. My daughter loves watermelon. I will put it on my list for her.

This would be perfect for our already arrived summer Ivy! Love the pink colours!

6. Joan Nova says:

Very pretty dessert and I love the little stars.

7. Hi and thank you for liking it.

Pixen, I’ve heard of the seedless watermelons and there are some in Greece which however, I have not yet seen anywhere. However, now they produce some mini watermelons weighing maximum 1 – 2 kilos and they are fully mature, red and sweet and have just a few seeds. I have also heard about yellow watermelons but in my mind I have connected watermelon with red. I am not sure if I would buy a yellow watermelon as I would certainly not buy blue tomatoes.

8. Lore says:

What a delight! I love it’s pretty pink colour and the presentation is really joyful :). I can see you enjoyed experimenting with gelatin and with delicious results too!
    Thank you for sharing it with Original Recipes.

9. Dee says:

Hi Ivy! This is such a pretty dessert for a great cause. It’s never ever occured to me that one could do more to watermelon than juice it. I’m not very good with gelatin unfortunately.

10. Emiline says:

Watermelon desserts are rare, and this sounds like a good one. Pretty pink color.

11. anudivya says:

That is one cute dessert. I will be making this, but with gelatin substitute. Pretty pretty!

Such a beautiful looking dessert and for a nice cause too

13. Hélène says:

Love the colors. What a great dessert!

14. Jen says:

I’ve never made mousse. It looks beautiful and delicious. Thanks so much for participating in my event.

15. pixen says:

Hi Ivy, I just remembered about The Breast Stupa Cookery Project – collaborative art project initiated by Pinaree Sanpitak, one of Thailand’s most prominent female artists. The project sets out to explore the meaning and interpretation of the artist’s signature work, the breast-shaped stupa, through culinary art.

16. Pixen, thanks for the information. I just found the URL if someone wants to look at what she makes:

It’s a great idea.

17. elly says:

Very interesting dish, Ivy! I love anything with watermelon in it. I have to tell you something because you are greek and this just reminded me of my grandma. Once, my yiayia (when she was living in the States) asked our neighbor if he wanted some carp. She meant watermelon and I guess because it’s karpouzi, she thought in English it was carp. Of course he said he does not like fish. LOL.

18. Abigail says:

Watermelon is one of my favorite treats, so I will definitely be bookmarking this and trying it next summer! Yum.

19. Bobby says:

Looks delicious, I have used alot of gelatins before. I really like the presentation, it made for a spectacular photo.

20. Very funny Elly. Your grandma reminded me of my parents when we first went to England. They had some funny times when they wanted to ask for something but in more official matters they would take me along, as their interpretor.

What a beautiful picture Ivy! Eventhough it was unnintentional the result is great :D. Really cute!
    I bought some gelatin to experiment too this summer (got inspired by your dishes) but is still resting in my cupboard :(

This is gorgeous Ivy – it would be perfect as a table centrepiece prior to serving.

23. Ning says:

Thank you very much for the shout-out :) We love watermelon but I have never used it in gelatin, which my kids love. The kids will surely drool over this yummy treat! :)

24. ttfn300 says:

wow, this sounds right up my alley… but i’ve never heard of gelatin in “sheets” any tip as to how much this is??

25. Hi ttfn300. Four sheets are equal in gelling power to one 1/4-ounce package of powdered gelatin. Hope this helps. Thanks for visiting.

26. MMMM… Looks and sounds lovely. I love watermelon so this little treat is right up my alley.

27. Another cool post, thanks a lot. I wanted to say I just looked over other entries on here and I look forward to more. Good show.