Lahanosalata2  (Cabbage Salad)

Lahanosalata (Cabbage salad) made with cabbage, celery, onion,  nuts and dried fruit and dressed with a delicious salad dressing,  may take a little time to prepare but it is worth all the effort.

We will be going  to Switzerland and France, for a week to visit our son and hope to visit your blogs soon.

Cabbage salad

I am leaving you with the best ever salad I have ever eaten. Sweet, sour, tangy, creamy and crunchy, this is the ultimate salad. So many tastes and textures, I am sure you will love it. I have been making this salad for years but I don’t make it very often because it is a bit time consuming. I make it only on special occasions and I made it last week when I had some guests. Believe me they couldn’t stop eating and I regret I made it because they ate so much that they couldn’t eat all the other things I had made.

If you think it makes a lot, you are right, but don’t worry. It’s never a lot and it is better the other day and the day after, and the day after that as well. You can eat it for 3 or 4 days and it is just as good.

Lahanosalata (Cabbage salad) with Pomegranate

Preparation time: 30 minutes

Serves: 6

• 3 cups finely chopped cabbage
  • 1 cup celery stalks, finely chopped
  • 1 medium onion finely chopped
  • ¾ cup of walnuts cut in big pieces
  • 2 tbsp sultana raisins
  • 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
  • Salt, pepper, paprika to taste
  • Lemon zest from one lemon

Salad dressing:

• 1 cup mayonnaise (1 small jar)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp of mild mustard
  • Lemon juice from 1 lemon
  • 1 tbsp honey

1. Finely cut all the ingredients in a large bowl, especially the cabbage. Mix all the salad dressing ingredients and combine with the salad.
  2. It can be kept in the refrigerator for 2 – 3 days.

You can find my Greek recipes in my cookbooks «More Than A Greek Salad», and«Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!» both available on all Amazon stores. Read more here.

Other related Recipes:

Lahanosalata me Karoto (Cabbage and Carrot Salad)

Salad Bar (many salad recipes in one post)

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

38 Comments on Lahanosalata (Cabbage salad) with Pomegranate – The best salad I have ever eaten!!

1. anudivya says:

Going to Switzerland and France? wow Ivy, have a safe and fun trip.
    Thanks for leaving us this wonderful salad while you are gone…

2. Thanks Anudivya.

I have removed comment moderation and I hope you will not be reading too many spam mails.

3. Hopie says:

Well if you’re stopping through Paris and want to get coffee with a fellow blogger, feel free to email! Have a lovely trip!

4. Maria says:

I wish I were going to France and Switzerland as well! Kalo taxidi!

P.S. your salad looks delicious. Very refreshing indeed!

5. heart n soul says:

kalo taxidi, I’ll definatelly try the salad

6. Joan Nova says:

I love the idea of the crunch. I’m not a mayo fan but I imagine I could get the same results with yogurt (Greek, of course!)

Oh, yummy! What a gorgeous combo! Your salad looks terrific!

Enjoy France and Switzerland Ivy…and thanks for giving me a great summery salad idea!

9. Divya Vikram says:

Hey Ivy..Salad looks healthy n a quick one. Happy journey!

10. Lakshmi says:

Salad looks crunchy, colorful and yumm. Enjoy your trip to Switzerland and France.

11. Rosie says:

Have a wonderful time in Switzerland and France Ivy. Your salad looks gorgeous and such a great entry for WFD. I have submitted my entry for this event via email today :)

Rosie x

12. Psychgrad says:

Enjoy your trip Ivy!

Now that’s a glowing endorsement for a salad if I’ve ever heard one…the combo sounds real good and I like how the Greek salad shifts to cabbage in the cooler months.

Have a wonderful time in Suisse and France.

14. vij says:

Have a wondeful trip Ivy! enjoy ur stay. The salad looks yummy!

15. Lubna Karim says:

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy.Mayonnaise dressing wow. Iam hungry.

Ivy have fun in France and Switzerland.
    Love this salade, it looks really cruncy and delicious.

17. sunita says:

Lovely salad :-)

Have a great trip, dear Ivy :-)

Ivyyyyyyyyyy! France is just one step behind Spain… why don’t you come over? I would cook a Paella for you♥

Your salad looks so fresh and with wonderful contrasts. It’s the kind I like mmmmmm.

19. RecipeGirl says:

What a wonderful ringing endorsement. I’ll have to bookmark this one!

Have a nice trip!

20. That does sound like a fabulous salad Ivy! I love these kinds, bursting with flavor, sweet and tangy! Have a great trip! :)

21. Cilantro says:

Have a wonderful trip. The salad with all the walnuts and pomegranate looks very tempting.Thanks for sharing your recipe,

22. Have a wonderful time abroad sis. We will look forward to hearing about your adventures. Hope your family is all well and thanks for sharing this coleslaw recipe:D

23. mikky says:

what a refreshing salad you have there… thanks for sharing… and have fun… :)

24. Deeba says:

Have a safe & wonderful trip Ivy. Look forward to loads of interesting stuff when you come back. This salad is indeed delightful; love the pomegranate seeds you added!

Hope you are having a lovely time in Switzerland and France Ivy! You alad sounds delicious – I particularly love the addition of the pomegranate seeds, which makes the dish beautiful as well.

26. Aparna says:

Your sald looks very colourful. I can understand why its the best you’ve eaten. :)
    I add pomegrante to a lot of my salads as I like the sweet and crunch it adds.
    Have a nice holiday and have fun.

27. yasmeen says:

Sweet, sour, tangy, creamy and crunchy Salad looks so tempting I’m gonna try it soon. Have a wonderful time traveling:)

28. Cynthia says:

Have a great time!

29. Hopie says:

I know you’re away, but when you get back come on over to my blog and pick up the award I have for you! Hope the trip is going well.

30. giz says:

This is my kind of salad. I love all those combinations. Have a great trip – think chocolate.

31. Thank you everybody for your lovely comments. We had a great time at Switzerland and France and hope to be visiting each one of you soon.

Hopie, thanks so much for the invitation. I wish I could visit Paris which I am dreaming of since I graduated school. However, I only made it up to Grenoble. Une autre fois. Thanks a lot for the award.

Maria, thanks a lot for your wishes. We had a great time.
    Heart & Soul, thanks as well.

Joan, I never thought of using yoghurt but I think it could work.

Rosa, thank you very much.

Peter G, thank you. Hope you’ll enjoy the salad.

Divya, thanks very much.

Lakshmi, thank you very much for your wishes.

Rosie, thanks very much for your wishes and for submitting your recipe for the Event.

Psychgrad, Peter, Vij, thanks. I had a great time.

Lubna, Happy Cook, Sunita thanks.

Nuria, thanks for the invitation. Maybe next time.

Recipe Girl, Jenn, Cilantro, thanks a lot.

Val, thanks. We had a great time and hope to post about it although I have so many things to share I don’t know where to begin from.

Mikki, Deeba, Cakelaw, Aparna, Yasmeen, Cynthia, Hopie and Giz, thank a lot for your wishes.

32. sushma says:

Thats a very nice salad with the combo of both fruit and veggies.

33. courtney says:

Oh that does look good. Im curious to try this. Safe travels Ivy!

34. Thank you Sushma and Courtney.

35. Rachel says:

This looks like a great recipe and I love the pomegranate seeds on top. I am thankful for all the kindness and generosity of food bloggers around the world, such as yourself, that inspire me each day.

36. […] CABBAGE SALAD WITH NUTS AND RAISINS, by the Host of Event, yours truuly […]

37. […] One of his favourite salads is a Cypriot salad with Cabbage, Nuts, Raisins and Pomegranate and a mayo sauce.    I always make this salad when I have guests as they enjoy it very much. You can see the original recipe here. […]

38. […] Salata – Lahanosalata –    Grape Salad  –   Fig Salad –   Tambouli   –  Watermelon […]