fakhes lentil soup

I don’t like making New Year’s resolutions but I know that I am back to healthy cooking again and I’ll try to keep cooking as healthy as possible. After all that butter which was consumed during December and gaining a few kilos, I haven’t yet made anything sweet this month and although I am not on a diet at least I am back to cooking more vegetables and legumes and trying to keep the calories low.

Fakes (pronounced fakhés) is a Greek vegan lentil soup with vegetables.  It is of high nutritional value which makes it perfect for the cold days!

Greek cuisine is so simple but yet so delicious because of the quality ingredients added to it.  Greek lentils are cooked without being soaked from the previous night because they are cooked so easily, then all the ingredients are fresh and of course the olive oil used, adds amazing flavour to any dish.

This is one of the recipes I cook very often during cold days.  During summer I prefer to make the Cypriot recipe called Fakes Moutzentra.

I cooked this soup a few days ago and this is a twist to my traditional Greek recipe.

If you like you can add more tomato as well as 1 tbsp tomato paste for a red soup.

Fakes Tomato Soup

Fakes Soupa (Greek Lentil Soup) my way

Preparation time:10 minutes

Cooking time: about 1 hour

Serves:  4

• 250 grams brown lentils
  • 2 medium onions, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 large carrot, finely chopped
  • 1 medium potato, diced
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
  • 2 ripe tomatoes (or more), peeled and grated
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste (optional)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • A pinch of dried oregano
  • 1 – 2 bay leaves
  • 2 tablespoons red wine or balsamic vinegar
  • 750 ml of water (about 3 cups)

1. Check if there are any small stones in the lentils and put them in pot and cover them with water.
  2. Bring to a boil and simmer for fifteen minutes. Drain lentils and set aside.
  3. Wash pot and dry or use a new one.  Heat the olive oil and sauté the onions  until translucent.  Add the garlic and sauté together with onions for 1 more minute.
  4. Add the vegetables, the grated tomato, the bay leaves, salt pepper and oregano as well as the vinegar and water.   Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, checking at regular intervals so that potato may not stick to the bottom of the pot.
  5. Add the lentils and simmer covered for about 30 more minutes or until soup is ready and to the desired thickness.
  6. Serve hot with Greek Kalamata olives and  bread (in moderation).

If you like you can add additional raw olive oil on top as well as more vinegar.

You can find more Lenten Recipes here.

Fakes Soupa

I am sending this hearty soup to No Croutons Required, hosted by Lisa, of Lisa’s Vegeterian Kitchen.

I am also sending it to Deb, of Kahakai Kitchen, hosting Souper Sundays.

On the way to My Legume Love Affair – Seventh Helping host by Srivalli, Event created by Susan, of The Well- Seasoned Cook.

You can find my Greek recipes in my cookbooks «More Than A Greek Salad», and«Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!» both available on all Amazon stores. Read more here.

Other related Recipes:

Coconut Red Lentil Soup

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

29 Comments on Fakes Soupa (Greek Lentil Soup)

Very healthy Ivy and quite tasty too! I know what you mean about those unwanted Xmas kilos!

2. Srivalli says:

Thanks for the lovely entry Ivy..that really looks yummy!

It looks delicious and healthy! Yummy!

4. Joan Nova says:

Looks good, Ivy, especially with the hunk of bread and bowl of olives!

5. Ah yes, fakes are a standard meal in every Greek household. We have at least once a week. They really do make for an excellent and healthful meal.

6. maria says:

One of my favorites Ivy, and luckily one of my children’s favorites as well. Both my Giagiades, my mom and I have always made it the way you have with plenty of onion, garlic, carrots, celery, bay leaf, a bit of tomato and a little vinegar to round things out at the end. I like your addition of potato as it makes the soup a bit heartier.

7. Rachel says:

Bookmarked this recipe!

8. elly says:

I used to not like fakes as a child (or so I thought) but I LOVE them now. It’s one of my favorite soups! Looks great, Ivy and very healthy! I haven’t technically baked sweets either, but last night I remembered some frozen chocolate chip cookie balls I had saved, and baked them. lol!

This soup looks yummy and delicious and really filling too.
    Wish i had that bowl , it is really cold here.

10. Hopie says:

Oh good, I have lots of lentils to use and pretty much all the other ingredients too. I’m going to have to make this soup!

11. Lisa says:

Thanks for this tempting entry Ivy. I was looking forward to your submission and you did not disappoint!

12. I could use a big bowl of this right now to warm me up from the inside out after a walk around the neighbourhood..it is winter afterall:D

13. PG says:

A lovely soup full of flavours. I’m sure a good olive oil must give it a wonderful flavour. I recently discovered kalamata olives and love thei flavour better than many other black olives I find here. Isd there something important about the name one should know? Or is it just the region from where it comes? thanks!

A very hearty, warming looking soup Ivy.

15. Soma says:

Ivy this is a lovely soup! A bowlful with some fresh rustic bread to dunk in it! Beautiful!

What a delicious, warm and comforting soup!

17. debinHawaii says:

What a gorgeous soup! I love lentils and this sounds so good and healthy too. Thanks for sharing it on Souper Sundays! The post is up and your soup looks perfect.

18. Teresa says:

Hola Ivy. Another wonderful soup to add to my collection. Seems like I eat soup 90 percent of the time during the winter. And I will most certainly have to try this one. Sounds absolutely delicious. Thank you my friend.

19. Thank you for your lovely comments.

P.G. I am glad that you enjoy Kalamata olives. Kalamata is a region in Greece, famous for its production of olives and olive oils. In particular the Kalamata olive is often known as the Greek olive, and is distinct in taste and appearance from most green and black olives. When Kalamata olives are not used for olive oil, which is a fairly common use, they are normally brined, packed in olive oil or pickled in wine vinaigrette.

20. What a lovely soup, Ivy!! We’ve been shoveling so much that there are snow drifts at the foot of our driveway which are 7 feet high – yesterday I would have KILLED for a bowl of lentil soup. Also, your bread looked really, really good. Was it homemade?

21. Lubna Karim says:

Wow warm, comforting and yummy soup…..

22. Aparna says:

I know what you mean by healthy cooking, Ivy. Its nice to get back to regular food after calorie overloads. :)
    This looks and sounds a lot like the “dals” we make in India. They’re very tasty, filling and comforting.

23. sunita says:

This is the third soup I’ve come across today. No that I’m complaining…in fact, the more, the merrier…we adore soups :-)

Always loved Fakkes, always will. That’s how I eat it…psomi, elies and maybe some toursi.

25. Priya says:

Wow wat healthy soup..just love anything with lentils..yummy soup..

26. Usha says:

This lentil soup looks really hearty and delicious…

27. Henia says:

Hello Ivy, Oooo this is what we need on this cold windy … I am making your recipe tonight!

28. […] Originally, I had posted the recipe for the Greek lentil soup here as well but now that I have made a separate post, you may see the recipe here. […]

29. […] Ivy from “Kopiaste” shares her version of fakes here […]