Think Spice… is a monthly blog event dedicated to spices founded by Sunita, ofSunita’s World, and I had the pleasure to host it for the month of February, exceptionally featuring two spices this month:   Mastic Gum and Fennel Seeds. The reason for this exception is that mastic gum is not a well known spice and I did not expect a lot of entries.

Even so, we did have a few participants and I hope that if you do find this lovely spice in a Greek or Middle Eastern deli shop you will now give it a try.

On the contrary we had a lot of participants who submitted wonderful recipes for fennel that truly highlight the versatility of this tasty spice, in both sweet and savory dishes, from vegetables to bread, to chutneys,  to cookies and drinks.

Thank you all for participating  with your wonderful contributions!

Fennel Seeds:

P.G. of My Kitchen Stories has made Cranberry Chutney.

Priya, of Priya’s Easty N Tasty Recipes, has made Baked Chickpeas Vada (aka Chickpeas Patties).

Nupur, of Cinnamon Hut, has made Paav Bhaji

Another lovely recipe from Priya, of Priya’s Easty N Tasty Recipes, who has made some Spicy Plantain Fritters this time.

Cham, of Spice Club, has made Masala Peanuts.

Christine, of Kits Chow, has made Sweet and sour shallots with raisins, fennel seeds and chilli.

Olga, from Olga’s Recipes, sends her Perch en Papillote, written both in English and Spanish.

Asha, of Aroma has made a Carrot Cake, flavoured with fennel seeds and a cheese cream frosting.

Jayasree, of Experiments in Kailas Kitchen, has made Cauliflower Fried Rice.

Lakshimi, of Taste of Mysore, has submitted three recipes: Khara Bun – Eggless Fennel Flavoured Buns

Lakshimi, also made a fennel based Mouthfreshner.

Finally, Lakshimi, also made a Tea Massala a Fragrant spice mix for milk tea.

Sowmya, of Creative Saga, has made some Minty Fritters -Baked savoury.

Bee and Jai, of Jugalbandi, have submitted a Rye-Buttermilk Bread with  Fennel Seeds.

Happy Cook, of My Kitchen Treasures has made Rista.

Priya, of Priya’s Easty N Tasty Recipes, has made Minced Mutton  Meatballs.

Psychgrad, of Equal Opportunity Kitchen, has made Chicken in  Tomato Sauce with Kalamata Olives and Feta Cheese.

Rachana, of The Gourmet Launchpad, has mad Aloo Paratha (Spicy Potato Flatbread).

Pixen, of Life Loves the Curious, has submitted Chicken in Creamy Tomato Sauce.

Meera, of Enjoy Indian Food, has made Punjabi Tea Massala.

Soma, of e-Curry has submitted a taste of home:  Simply Seasoned Red Lentils

Yasmeen, of Health Nut, has made Fennel Tea (Saunf Chai)

Maria, of Kali Orexi, has made Ladokouloura (Olive oil based bread rings).

Sunita, of Sunita’s World, has made Savoury Rye and Fennel Bites.

Aparna, of My Diverse Kitchen, has made Thandai, which is a Spiced Almond Milk.

Lavi, from Home Cook’s Recipe’s, mas made Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambhu (Lentil Dumplings in Spicy Tamarind Gravy)

Supriya, of Queen of my Kitchen, has made Badishoap (Powdered Fennel mouth freshener)

Swapna, of Cooking with Swapna, had made Saunf Chicken.

Raaga, of The Singing Chef, has made Gatte Ka Saag.

Kiran, of Radiance Recipes, has made Fennel (Variali) Biscuits.

Mastic Gum (in sweets)

Navita, of Zaayeka, has made Sonth ke Laddu (Energizing Power Balls).

Cakelaw, of Laws of the Kitchen, has made a Rosewater, Cardamom and Mastic Gum Ice Cream.

Anna, of Morsels and Musings, made a Mastic Ice Cream.

Finally my recipes, using mastic gum:

I, have made Revani or Ravani with Cream Cheese Frosting.

Another recipe from me is Panacotta flavoured with mastic gum, perfect for Valentines Day, as mastic is an aphrodisiac.

Another savory recipe I made, using both mastic gum and fennel seeds: Fettuccine with chicken and chocolaty, mastic gum sauce.

Finally, we have an entry from a non-blogger:

Shalini Sharma, of New Delhi, India has sent us a recipe called Redru:

Redru is himachali dish. This is very cold for cold and cough. Its sweet and sour taste which goes well with makki (corn) ki roti. This is also good for digestion also.

Redru (Himachal Pradesh dish)
Ingredients
  • 2 cups curd
  • 1 tbsp. pure ghee
  • 1 tbsp chopped onion
  • 1 tbsp fennel seeds
  • 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
  • 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1/2 tsp corriander powder
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper powder
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tbsp chopped green coriander leaves
  • 1 finely chopped green chilly
  • 1/2 tsp finely chopped ginger
  • 1/4 tsp sugar (optional)
  • salt to taste
Method
  • Take a wok put ghee and add fenugreek seeds and let seeds become brown.
  • Put cumin seeds and onion
  • When onion become translucent put fennel seeds, ginger, chilly powder, turmeric powder, corriender powder and green chilly saute for a while.
  • Beat the curd properly and put in the wok and keep on stirring and take off from the gas.
  • Now put salt and sugar.
  • Garnish with coriander leaves.( in winter I prefer green fenugreek leaves instead of coriander leaves)
  • Serve with hot rice or hot chappaties.

Tags: ,

29 Comments on Think Spice… Think Twice, Roundup.

1. bee says:

thank you for a great roundup, dear ivy.

2. Soma says:

Lovely roundup Ivy! wonderful collection.

3. LOvely collection.. Nice round up

4. Joan Nova says:

Wow…quite a lot of interesting and varied entries from a very global base.

5. Aparna says:

Lots of very “spicy” delicious fare, Ivy.
    I hope I can find mastic gum someday. Thanks for hosting this edition.

A wonderful roundup! what gorgeous dishes!

Cheers,

Rosa

7. Psychgrad says:

Very interesting round up, Ivy. Lots of variety. I also like that you included the mastic gum. It definitely raised some awareness about what can be done with it.

8. Priya says:

Lots of delicious entries…great to see many mastic gum’s entries, quite new for me, Awesome roundup Ivy!!

Delicious roundup ivy, I hva seen few good recipes here that i want to try. Thankyou for all the hard work.

10. sunita says:

Thanks, dear Ivy, for a fantastic roundup of all those lovely entries and introducing a new spice- mastic gum (definitely new for me) :-)

11. What an awesome roundup! I have never cooked with mastic gum before, but all these entries look absolutely delicious!

12. You had such an excllent turnout for your event Sis. So many delicious looking dishes:D

13. courtney says:

Great round up. Im so curious about this Mastic now. Need to visit Greek town and find some.

14. Very nice roundup, Ivy. And unusual, I’ve never seen mouth freshener recipes before.

15. Cham says:

Wonderful round-up! Delicous entries with Mastic gum! Great and unique spice Ivy!

16. maria says:

That all looks so lovely. What a great selection of international dishes!

17. Bobby says:

Ivy, great cooking round up. Props for getting this together. Everything looks so good. I want to try those sweet and sour shallots!

18. Lakshmi says:

Some new recipes for me to try. It is nice to see flavor of fennel and mastic gum in variety of cuisine :)

19. jayasree says:

Wonderful roundup. Thanks for introducing a new spice- mastic gum. Hope to find it some day.

20. sowmya says:

nice round up..good to see so many new recipes..

21. PG says:

This is such a lovely roundup! I have been drooling over many of the recipes here. But, as others have also mentined the best part of it all was that I got to know of a mastic gum. I will be on the look out and if I find it you will be the first person I will tell. :)

22. srikitchen says:

wow! good effort ivy! nice set of recipes!

23. Lavi says:

Great Collection! Thanks for the usefull topics Ivy.

24. Rosie says:

Bravo Ivy what a stunning round-up!! Everything looks gorgeous.

Rosie x

25. Divya Vikram says:

That is a great roundup Ivy. And regarding the think pepper event, you can send a dish with other spices too.but it should not be overpowered by pepper.

26. Anna says:

thanks for choosing mastic. it was a great challenge but i think more people should have been brave and tried it! next time :)
    thanks for hosting.

27. Navita says:

Ivy…great round up…n cheers to mastic gum! ;p

28. […] « The Crepes of Wrath…Savory Spice Shop…Sedap Malaysian Foods | themalaysiapage.com…Think Spice… Think Twice, Roundup….qPlog: Brainmatter » Blog Archive » YES!!…Thrifty kitchen: Use it up! « Cheap […]

29. durgesh gupta says:

good effort ivy! nice set of recipes like it