I know that I always say that I wish I had an Ice Cream machine, whenever I comment on someone’s Ice cream post  but although it doesn’t cost much, I have no space in my kitchen to add another gadget and even if I did, I am still thinking if I should buy one, as I know that I will be making ice cream every day, as the possibilities for creativity are limitless and it’s time to watch my weight!!

I based this recipe on an ice cream I made last year.  It was mere coincidence that I made Dulce de Leche a few days before as well as the Cherry Compote. In the morning when I decided to make the ice cream I was debating with myself if I would make it with Dulce De Leche or with Cherry Compote or both.  I asked that question on Facebook and some friends suggested that I should make them separately.  My mind was tending towards using the Cherry Compote but before the final stage I tried the cream and it didn’t seem sweet enough, so that’s when I decided to add the Dulche De Leche in the cream.  I added and tasted until it reached the desired sweetness and there was just a little bit left, so I used that as decoration.

I served it with Cherry Compote or Cherry Spoon Sweet and that was perfect with the ice cream but using any other Fruit Spreads also would be equally good.

Νo machine Ice cream with Dulce de Leche, Cherry Compote and Greek Yoghurt – Recipe by Ivy

Preparation time: 30 minutes

Total time until ready:  About three hours

Yields: 1,5 litres ice cream

Dulce De Leche (if not used, increase the amount of sugar in the pastry cream)

Greek strained Yoghurt

Vanilla essence

Cherry compote (without the syrup)

Pastry cream:  See instructions here

Egg yolks

Corn flour (Cornstarch)

Whipping cream: See instructions here

Heavy cream (35%)

Icing sugar

Prepare whipping cream and refrigerate.

Prepare pastry cream, cover with cling film and set aside to cool.

In a mixer bowl add pastry cream, whipped cream  and yoghurt and beat for five minutes at full speed.

Place in a container with lid and deep freeze. After about 1 hour check your ice cream and see if it has frozen near the edges. With a hand mixer beat well until all the crystals have become soft cream again.

Repeat the same procedure two more times.

Transfer the ice cream in the mixer bowl, add half of the dulce de leche and beat it well.

Return the ice cream in the container and add the cherries scattering them here and there.

Put the remaining dulce de leche in a piping bag and decorate.

Remove from the deep freezer 15 minutes before serving and serve with cherry compote.

The Cherry Spoon Sweet and Cherry Compote I made have long finished but I suppose you will be seeing more recipes with cherries as this week I made some more.

I am sending this recipe to Ben, of What’s Cooking for his event Homemade #5:  Ice Cream.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

22 Comments on No machine Ice cream with Dulce de Leche, Cherry Compote and Greek Yoghurt

1. Poornima says:

Good one Ivy…the icecream with cherry compote looks divine.

Poornima’s last blog post..Pancakes with Chocolate Sauce

Marvelous and so tempting!

Cheers and have a great weekend,

Rosa xoxo

3. Hopie says:

I often regret not having an ice cream machine too, but I guess I should go ahead and make ice cream anyway! I LOVE dulce de leche and in ice cream it’s wonderful!

Hopie’s last blog post..Barcelona Part III: Tapas

I fully understand the whole thing about adding another gadget in the kitchen! But it’s tempting to buy an ice cream machine! this ice cream dish is a wonderful medley of flavours Ivy…especially that beautiful cherry compote.

Peter G’s last blog post..Baked Beef Ragu

Dulce de leche is just heavenly! What a nice treat with the cherry compote!

Reeni’s last blog post..Eggplant Parmesan Perfection

6. A dulce de leche ice cream sounds heavenly and so perfect with cherry compote – I always add some cherry preserves or compote in any ice cream I’m having!

Natasha – 5 Star Foodie’s last blog post..Kumato Tomato Tart

7. Heni says:

OMG what a treat! All these goodies in one dessert!

8. Liz says:

I had an ice cream maker but but unfortunately it had an adverse effect on my waistline so I had to get rid of it!

This looks so tasty!

Liz’s last blog post..Cookie cutters and more

9. love the “no machine” idea as i have none. will try that. it is ice cream time!

10. arfi says:

I never use ice cream maker when making ice cream (don’t have it hehehe). I do it manually, takes time, but it doesn’t matter. Will try dulce de leche ice cream when Summer heats our place (right now, we’re still enjoying hot chocolate) :)

11. Adam says:

Good for you for making ice cream without the mixer. I say a little hard work makes it more worthwhile, and if you worked up a sweat, well then you could eat more ice cream :)

Those cherries blow away those lame maraschino ones anyday…

Adam’s last blog post..She Was So Blonde… Where it Said ‘Sign Here’ She Put Sagittarius

12. parita says:

Perfect for summer!! Looks divine, pass me a bowl pls?

parita’s last blog post..Baked Methi Corn Cutlets

13. elly says:

Yum yum yum! I love everything about this ice cream!

elly’s last blog post..A Year in the Kitchen with Nigel Slater: June’s Chicken with Harissa (ummm fauxrissa?) and Mint

14. Deesha says:

Thatz looks absolutely divine

Deesha’s last blog post..CLICK – Stacks

15. This looks delicious, Ivy! I really need to get my ice cream maker out – we mostly make fresh fruit sorbets – delicious this time of year!

Jen of a2eatwrite’s last blog post..Local Love Fridays: The Coffee House Creamery Family

Oh Yum…homemade ice cream (no machine) and dulce de leche…a perfect decadence!

17. I’m going a little ice cream crazy right now because I just got an ice cream maker. I’m sure to gain a lot of weight in the coming weeks. Your ice cream sounds incredible with dulce de leche and yogurt!

lisaiscooking’s last blog post..Baked Vanilla Rice Peaches

18. Soma says:

This entire combination sounds extremely delectable. But I love the cherry compote in it the best.

Soma’s last blog post..Grilled Peaches with Lemon Yogurt & Honey

19. yasmeen says:

no-churn definitely makes me wanna try this soon,love all the delectable flavors (:

20. bobby says:

I just made some ice cream the other day. This icecream looks great and best off all it requires no ice cream machine. Even though I love my ice cream machine, this would be great if it ever broke. :)

21. Aparna says:

This sounds delicious to me, Ivy. Right now it’s pouring rain here so its not exactly ic-cream time even though cherries are very much available.

Aparna’s last blog post..Just A Little Chocolate!

22. […] No Machine Ice Cream with Dulce de leche […]