Each year I have been making the same Christmas Cake year after year after year and I still love it and will be making it again some time in the future.

However, I still want to experiment with new things and this year I am making a Christmas Cake based on the older recipe but I have tweaked practically most of the ingredients.  Although I love the citrus flavour of the old cake I’ve used candied strawberries, cherry spoon sweet and eggplant spoon sweet.  Instead of almonds, I used hazelnuts and I flavoured it with the coffee liqueur I made both inside and also to wet the cake a couple of times.  I know that it’s hard to find eggplant spoon sweet abroad but you can add craisins instead, if you like.

This cake needs about a week to be ready, so today I am posting the basic cake recipe and I will update the remaining as I go ahead.

Note:  For those who are making a Christmas Cake for the first time, don’t think that it’s too early to make a cake for Christmas, as the Royal Icing seals the cake and it can be preserved for a very long time.

Spoon sweets should be placed in a colander for at least one day prior to preparating the cake.

The almond paste  had another non traditional ingredient in it.

Royal Icing:

I did not change anything to the Royal Icing.   I added the ornaments on top, which this year are all edible and spinkled some coconut on top of the icing.

You will find the recipe in my cookbook “Mint, Cinnamon & Blossom Water, Flavours of Cyprus, Kopiaste!”

Happy Holidays and a Merry Christmas to you all!!

This recipe goes to Cinzia of Cindystar, for her event Baking under the Christmas Tree.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 Comments on A Christmas Cake with a twist

Last week my oven got bad, so just bought a new oven adn they will bring it tommorw. I still have to make a christmas cake too.
    This looks really good.

2. Sylvia says:

I baked my Christmas cake yesterday , using cherry liqueur , molasses and all nuts in the world , lol !!!
    Yours looks delicious and love the strawberries add

3. 5starfoodie says:

Sounds like your Christmas cake will be incredible! I love the addition of espresso rum brandy liqueur and the candied strawberries!

4. Ivy, that sounds like a great holiday sweet treat!

5. Sunita says:

A great cake in the making! Love your interpretations of the cake, and looking forward to the finished product :-)

What an original recipe! That cake must taste really good!

Cheers,

Rosa

7. chapot says:

If I made a cake a few days before Christmas, I'm sure I would like to eat it !
    Nuts, cinnamon, strawberries, all I like !

8. Parita says:

Cake looks delicious!!

9. Poornima says:

Wow…that sounds like the perfect cake…looks awesome!

10. alison says:

delicious your cake,ivy!so exciting,christmas is coming!

11. Simona says:

This looks very nice. I'll follow the developments of your experiment.

I've heard so much about the Christmas cake. Was never sure what it was. This looks delicious! I don't think I could wait until Christmas to eat it! So tempting.

13. Wow.. strawberries in a Christmas cake.. Ivy this is so original and I am sure you will be making it every year from now on. Save a piece…

14. Soma says:

Oh my! This must be a heavenly cake with all those wonderful things going in it. hazelnut, strawberries, orange blossom water.. how delicious!

15. No, I don't think that custard would be a good idea.

16. heni says:

This cake brings back memories of Christmas fruit cakes from my homeland … you have convinced me I will be trying your recipe … but maybe not using candied strawberries since I am not sure I will not find any now.

17. […] other night when I was making the Almond Paste for the Christmas cake, I had two egg yolks which I wanted to use.  I decided that the best way to […]